cracked/cut dog pad

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Christina R., May 29, 2006.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Our mixed breed 2+ year old dog has cuts/cracks (2 on one pad and one on the other) on her paws. They look like cracks that have gotten deeper. We live on a dirt road. She is outside with me a lot. She goes along with me as I bike ride one night and run the alternate. This is through woodlands and dirt trails. We saw her licking and licking her pads starting about 3 weeks ago. We looked and looked and could never feel or see anything. Last night I saw the cracks/slight cuts. I put neosporin on them. She seemed to leave them alone (she sleeps with my son and he said he didn't notice her messing with them when they went to sleep, either). This morning they are deeper. I'm going to see what Petsmart offers for pad care, but thought I'd post for ideas here, too. Thx.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What about thinking on getting some of those shoes they sell for A dogs feet too.

3. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

you might use Bag Balm to keep them moist that will prevent cracks. They also make paw wax to protect dogs feet.

4. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

No expert here, but I think keeping pads moist will encourage the wound NOT to heal. Try something called SkinShield, available at Walgreen's drug stores...has something to relieve pain, antibiotic, and will protect the cut and keep stuff from getting in it. Nu-Skin is similar and *almost* does the same, but doesn't relieve pain...stings, in fact.

Mon

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like the pads are dried out and calloused. This isn't necessarily bad, it is probably why the pads aren't getting cut on the hikes. At night, wash the pads and massage some olive oil on them. The olive oil will be absorbed. It is very healthy and will not only moisturize the pads, but help heal them. Rub a little oil on the nails as well.

6. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

The only thing Petsmart had was the pad wax. I put neosporin on them again, put on the pad wax, gauze, and the stick to itself wrap. I bought a pair of booties, but they were a smidgen too small, so I'll return them and get the next size tomorrow. I'm surprised she isn't trying to pull the wrap off. Maybe I won't need the botties after all. To show how much worse things have gotten since just this morning, when I put the pad wax on, there was a circle (large nickle size) peice of pad about 7/8 of the way off. I bet that is a sign of it being a callous like Maura said. She sure hasn't liked whatever was happening.

7. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogs can really go through boots (lose them!). If you're just wanting to keep dirt out & bandage on, get baby socks...what with the bandaging, that may be all you need. Less expensive, and handy!

Mon

8. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

when my dogs damage a pad I use triple antibiotic and baby powder to keep things dry, to prevent licking I have some ruffwear boots.

9. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

get happy jack pad kote.it is great for damaged pads.but beware it has pine tar in it and also blue dye.think finger printing....he will stain everything it touches.also wear gloves and dont let dog in house if you use it.also if you get the weeping between toes .use a quart jar of rubbing alcohol with betadine mixed till it looks like ice tea.dip foot in it as often as needed.it dries the weeping up.good for the foot.i have dealt with foot problems for dogs alot..i ran hounds alot.hope this helps......later...barry