Crabgrass Hay

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a hay/goat guy tell me that would milk very well on crabgrass hay. I have never fed or even seen crabgrass hay so does anyone else have any knowledge about it?? He was selling it, so I would like some impartial info... :eek:

2. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

do you mean bermuda grass??

3. ozark_jewels

Nope. It is Crabgrass ....I have fed Brome, Orchargrass, fescue and a few other types but no crabgrass....

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

While Crabgrass is A bane to gardeners It Is A very good forage for livestock, I think It was in Feeds And Fedding ,That it was listed as such, I Do know that There were articles in The Grass Farmer Stockman Mag. out of Mississippi that tells about it...

5. ozark_jewels

Yes, that is what I am finding out from other sources.....According to this link its a great forage and hay grass if used at the proper stages. http://tinyurl.com/avs4k
    I always thought it was a weed. I would certainly buy just a couple bales to try before getting a whole load..... ;) Thanks!

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I often wonder if people relize A lot of what is considered weeds. Makes A great forage if used right.

7. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

Generally a weed is a plant you don't want in a certain area, not any specific types of plants. I've been told the best hay for goats is that weedy hay mix. It is usually a bit cheaper and the goats really love those leafy weeds.
    Chris