Crabby First Freshener (and udder lump) HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Um, hello everybody. I'm new to this site, and this is my first "thread". I have 2 questions. I have a first freshener Saanen, and she WON'T STOP MOVING when I milk her. I have only been milking her for 3 weeks or so, her babies sucked her dry before that. (triplets, 2 does! :)) She has gotten better since the first week, but she still practically backflips with her head in the milkstand. I'm afraid she's going to break her neck. She's a lot stronger than me, and weighs a lot more, too. I know first fresheners are touchy, but shouldn't she be calmer by now? My other first fresheners in the past (not many) were fine, and only took a few days to a week each to get used to milking. Have I just been really lucky? I do feed her grain when I milk her, and she always somhow picks the bowl of grain out of its holder and tosses it across the room! I'ts getting really annoying. She also kicks me and the milk bucket.
    I try to be patient, but I'm wearing thin.
    Ok, the 2nd question is shorter. Really. This same goat has a lump 2-3 inches down and left from the rear udder attachment. It's about the size of a very small marble, and hasn't gotten any bigger since I first found it 3 days ago. It's very hard, but not warm, and it's not a flybite. Could it be mastitis??? Her udder is fine, except for having lumpy skin over it. It's always been that way, I think... But her udder is not hot or hard, and the milk not stringy or bloody or anything abnormal. The udder has always been sensitive.

ANY replies are deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Abby

2. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

My nubian is kind of a pain to milk too. Her milk is so good it is worth putting up with her though. When she used to move around a lot I finally got to the point that if she kicked me or the bucket she got a smack on her hip. She does not do that anymore. It took about 3 months for it to connect. Either she is none too bright or really stubborn. Probably both. Now, when she is really good about milking she gets a gingersnap cookie. There are so many people here that are so much more knowledgable than I, I am sure you will get better options from them. I have only been milking since January and we love it. I wish my nubian were more like my alpine, she jumps up on the stand and does not move at all. She always gets a cookie! I do not know what to tell you about the lump, it does not sound like mastitis but you will need someone other than me to talk with about it. Sorry. Best of luck to ya!

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Warning! I have never milked a goat. :)

But.... I was told by someone who used to milk goats that they ALWAYS put the goats back feet on a short stool when they milked. They said for some reason they wouldn't step down from this stool. :shrug:

Sounds to me to be like an "old wive's tale", but they swore it was the only thing that worked on fussy kicking goats.

4. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

My nubian doe is fussy too; she's 3 years old and a first freshener. Try putting a dog collar or something like that around her back feet, above the knees; I find she isn't fussy while she's eating grain with the collar around, but when she's done eating she does get very fussy. She often jumps off the table (my table doesn't have a head holder thing, I have to put a halter around them and tie it on so its easy for her to jump off) and so I just milk her on the ground and lift up one of her feet and milk with the other hand. I have found that you have to be kind of... oh what's the word... always trying different positions to find which way suits your goat. I've been milking my nubian doe for probably a month and she's still pretty bad. She's gotten a lot better. I guess it just takes time.

I don't know what to say about the lump. My oberhasli doe has a lump where her teat connects to her udder and it's always been like that. :shrug:

5. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I bought a wide nylon hobble that goes around both back ankles. I have FFs who I will start milking tomorrow who were not particularly tame anyway. I tied up the back leg of one doe who is very strong and raised Cain with every milking. Then, she just stopped one day :) . She's four years old, though, and knew what was up.

I didn't like tying her leg up (tho it worked great) with a rope, it must have been painful and she is hefty, throwing herself around like she did. So with their collars clipped in, and their back legs immobilized, we're in for a week or so of super fun mornings.

6. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Thanks! These suggestions are great, and I have combined them into a method that works for me and my doe. The only method I haven't tried that you guys suggested is the hobbling, because I have a pair of hobbles, and you practically have to hog-tie my doe anyway to get them on. That seems kind of pointless, considering that the reason I tie her up is just that, to tie her up! If you get my drift......
    THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH!!!! :)

7. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

The lump could be staph. I'd have to see the goat to know for sure. It could also be caused by her babies being too rough with her. If this lump is tender, this could be the reason she is balking when you milk her. I had a doe who got a staph lump from her kids being rough on her. I pulled the kids and the vet had me treat her with Penn G for 10 days and Excenel for 5 days. This cleared up the problem. As far as rowdy first fresheners go, I get a small cup which I milk the doe into and pour the milk into the pail as I go along, so I don't get the whole bucket dumped on me and the stand. I sometimes sit on the stand and put one leg under the doe so she doesn't jump sideways away from me. I've had some does be resistant for a while, but if I am firm with them, they learn. I've noticed that it is harder to train a doe to the milk stand if she has been allowed to raise her kids. If you pull the kids at birth, the doe thinks you are her kid and is much more cooperative.

8. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

If your does are eating all the grain before you get finished milking then put some alfalfa pellets in their grain so they have to spend time digging. if you put some eye bolts on the side of your stand then tie around the hoof and down thru the eye bolt they can't kick and move around and it doesn't hurt them.