crabby abby

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dunroven, Jun 14, 2005.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple of rabbits, new zealands, who have all of a sudden become fighting does. Not each other, but me! I try to put my hand in their cage and they come after me like nobody's business. What on earth is their problem? They are not old enough for breeding yet, a couple of months yet down the road. Do I just need to cull these, or is this common?

Help!

Valorie

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

How old are they? If they are near 4 months, they are old enough to breed, and that can play a part of it. Secondly, are you SURE they are both does? I would check again!

Also, it could be just like you said, just them. I have had a decent amount of mean does before, it's not uncommon. One bad thing is that it runs in their genetics for some reason, so if you have mean does, their babies will have a tendency to be mean too. Hope that helps!

3. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, yeah, unfortunately that does help, these does are just about 4 months old, so I spose that could be a little of it. They are both does. My husband's hands got pretty scratched up trying to figure that out, but yeah, they are both does. They are in separate cages too, about 4 cages from each other. They are sisters, so that tells me about all I need to know. We were wanting these does for breeders to get to a point of becoming commercial breeders, but I probably will have these for dinner real soon! Hate to do that, but I don't want mean mamas to deal with either.

Thanks for the info!

Valorie