Crab fishing

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Ed Norman, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We're thinking of heading over to Washington to fish in the ocean and catch some crabs. Bait shops rent crab rings pretty cheap, but I saw this here device http://www.crabhawk.com/the_crabhawk and I like the looks of it. You can cast it with a rod and get out farther than all the hand traps. Anybody ever heard of one? I almost caught a crab that held onto my bait when I was a little kid, so I am somewhat of an expert in these matters.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Here on the East Coast we just tie on a fish head and cast it out. The crabs will hold on if you reel it in slowly, and then you just scoop them up with a net. While the "crab catcher" may work, I'd think it would be prone to hanging up on the bottom, and at $20 each thats a big loss if it breaks off. Id try the simple methods first and then MAYBE try the crab catcher if results werent good

3. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

We always used to use chicken necks. You can get a bucket full in no time. :dance:

4. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I was just reading a page that said fish are best but sea lions will steal your bait, and I think they have them where we are headed. They said chicken necks and mink are next best. Mink? The guy must live around a mink farm.

I just dug out my dad's 40 year old deep sea rod and reel. The rod fell out of the reel seat when I picked it up, and when I grabbed for the pieces, the wooden handle on the end fell out of the other end. So now I have my epoxy and sandpaper and will have it back better than ever soon.