Crab Apples?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CountryGoalie, Sep 2, 2004.

1. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know if there are any food properties involved with crab apples? We've got a crab apple tree that's been on the property since loooooong before we ever came, and the fruit appears to be ripe.

I've tasted part of one before, it had an interestingly tart taste to it, and it got me wondering ... anyone got any recipes? Or can you just eat them raw?

2. retired03

retired03 Member

Flowering Crabs and thornapple (cockspur hawthorne) both make an excellant jelly.

3. I am thinking they are dyed dark red or purple and sweet pickled with cinamonon on some salad bars. May also have some potential as a blending cider juice. most folks just compost or dispose of them.
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=pickled+crabapple+recipes&spell=1[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=crabapple+recipes&btnG=Search[/ame]

4. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Think pectin! I'm not an expert, not having a crab apple tree of my own - yet. But I remember my Grandmother making jelly with the pulp and adding the pulp to other jellies while cooking and then straining out for clear jelly. She said it made them jell better with less bought pectin. I know she made some killer jelly! Yum!

She also pickled them with beet juice for color and spices - mostly cinnamon and clove, I think. Its been a long time. And I wasn't crazy about cloves - sooooo. :rolleyes:

Life is good! :) :) :)
    Halo

5. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

They make the best jelly:)
    Mickey