Coyotes

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jwcinpk, Jun 8, 2004.

1. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

A 3 month old male is missing from our herd and I fear coyotes are the cause. We moved our herd across the way from us to a newly fenced pasture and wooded area and I go check them regularly, but I've seen coyotes in the area. What can I do to protect these goats from the coyotes and neighborhood dogs? I hate to bring them home they seem so content. I can't be there all the time, but when i am I keep a gun handy and i'll pop the critters if I get a chance. I looked into a gaurd dog, but that's a long way off by the time I could get one and get it trained.
    Is there anything I can do to keep the coyotes away?

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

neutered male llama, or female llama
    i had mine, and it was great ! , best 20.00 i ever spent !!
    bought at sale barn
    spent 35.00 from vet to have him cut, but he was half wild, and would even chase my farm dogs, he was awesome !

3. Did this happen at night? That's when the coyotes come around here.
    I haven't had any losses to them, but my goats are in the barn at night.
    If you are able to put the goats up at night, that should reduce losses.
    mary

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Pyranese Dog, a single female burro or neutered male burro, female llama or neutered male llama

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Please visit http://lgd.org

A Livestock Guardian Dog (which ever breed) will not only protect your goats from coyotes, wolves and dogs, but also mountain lions, bears and 2 legged predators.

If you have a serious coyote pack problem I recommend 2 dogs. Llamas and Burros are great agains 1 or 2 coyotes but they can't work against a pack nor are they any help with 2 legged predators.

I use dogs because their barking is usually enough to foil the element of surprise that these predators need to make a sucessful kill. If the predator does not heed the dog's warning, the dog will meet the threat head on. I like using more then one dog when there is allot of area to be protected and several head to protect. One dog moves the flock away from the threat while the other dog escalate the warning as he moves closer to the threat.

I couldn't run my farm with out my Anatolians. Do look at the above link, there is a library with information about Llivestock Guardian Dogs as well as information raising them. There are discussion groups for you when you decide to explore using them and want more personal information. I don't think one LGD breed is better then another, and if you look at the pictures at the top of the page, click on the picture it will take you to the partent clubs site that will talk about their breed. You will find one that you are drawn to. I happened to fall in love with the Anatolian Shepherd Dog, others like the Great Pyrenees. There are about 8 major breeds being used in this country and Canada.

I am sorry for your loss.

6. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

get a donkey. Beautiful, smart, sensitive, and they HATE coyotes and one donkey will put the run ona pack of coyotes.

good luck

babs

7. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

If you decide on a donkey, be sure to test him/her first with one goat. I had one (a donkey) given to me because his owner (an elderly lady) couldn't take care of him anymore, so luckily I put him in with my buck. This donkey was used to being by himself and he bit half of my buck's tail off. Literally.

8. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

another vote for a lgd...i prefer the great pyrenees myself. look on the net for rescue organizations close to you