Coyotes

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by CountryMamaof5, Sep 22, 2006.

1. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

Do coyotes go after pigs? Last night I didn't put my pigs in with the chickens and I left them in their 3 walls and a top shelter which has the fence that encloses the front part but i know coyotes can climb. But do they mess with pigs? Is there any age of a pig that is too big for a coyote to mess with? I have thought of just making a front to the shelter and enclosing them but they sure love to stretch their legs

2. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Hey countrymama, how are you doing? I was going to PM you and ask you how your pigs were doing. Are you enjoying them? They have some serious personality!

We have A LOT of coyotes where we are and we've never had a pig killed by a coyote. The neighbors had something get in with theirs and kill a couple of piglets, but I seriously doubt it was coyotes. I think it was their dogs. I guess maybe piglets could be fair game, but even a half grown pig can be a force to be reckoned with.

3. CountryMamaof5

Lol I just adore having piggies! They are so much fun! The little male doesn't have a whole lot of interest in me . He just follows the ladies and they run to me every time i go outside. They sniff me like they think im hiding something in my pockets for them LOL.

I put a fourth wall up on the pig shelter today with a corner cut out for a door. It should be enough discouragement for any dog. I dont think a dog could get in. or would. They can't see the pigs in there and it wouldn't get their at tention this way. I think they will be okay. Dh wanted the pigs out of the chicken pen because they were busting the 2x4 welded wire when they rammed it when they would get spooked by us trying to grab them lol

I dont konw how i made it in life without pigs. They are just the most fun farm animal in my opinion

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

They're loads of fun until they're muddy and they jump up on the fence when you go out to feed and they splatter mud all over you. Then bacon starts sounding mighty good!!! LOL

I don't think you'll have trouble with coyotes, I really don't. I'd be really suprised, dogs yes. You need a Pyrnees. :)
    Take care. Glad you're enoying those pigs!

5. CountryMamaof5

So far their biggest "bacon" moments is when Im trying to get them and they dash through the water/feed (its a 2x4 foot rectangle box) and it splashes a bit of much, water and pig feed all over me lol

Now.. as for mud. I dont think I will get much mud there because its sand but I really would love to find out what its like to go catch pigs in the mud lol. I think it would be hilariously fun

6. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Hmm, not sure I'd enjoy that, but I have to admit I do like it when they shake all over me when I'm hosing them down! LOL As long as I've not had my shower before the hosing...

7. CountryMamaof5

Why do you hose them down? like in the summer when its hot? I am trying to mentally picture a pig shaking water all over me.. Ooh that could be messy lol

8. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Yes, in the summer. They can't tolerate heat and will try to wallow in their water bowl if nothing else is available. *Grossness warning* The funniest time was when I'd butchered a chicken and saved the blood and guts for them, which I'd read that they find a real treat. The site I used for instructions said to add some water to the blood to keep it from congealing. I dumped all this in their bowl (those nice indestructable flexible rubber bowls) and they immediately tried to wallow in it. EWWW!!! I snatched that away pretty quick! They had no interest in eating the guts; they only like cooked chicken, TYVM. :rolleyes: Anyway, they love a good mudhole or a kiddie pool. Those plastic covered sandboxes, turtles etc, work very well; the other type are too easily crushed down on the sides to hold much water.

9. sellis

sellis Well-Known Member

in answer to your question , i dont know where you are at but yes coyotes will go after pigs or anything they can get roaming or in a pen , they are opportunists and will kill what they can to survive , here in wyoming they have been known to kill dogs, cats and anything they can make for a meal. :hobbyhors

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I've had one coyote get in the potbelly pig pen to try to get the piglets. The boar fought her off and suffered a torn ear and a bite on the rump but all the piglets were safe. She kept coming back until I managed to shoot her. All the other coyotes seem to know to stay out of the pasture and normally run along the fence catching mice, voles and rabbits. Every once in a while one will get it in their head that stuff on the other side of the fence looks mighty tasty. By and large, coyotes are pretty smart and recognize people as a threat