coyotes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, May 25, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Do coyotes sound like dogs barking? We live rural and never hear dogs - there really aren't any where we are except for a poor old 3 legged one down a ways. Never heard any dogs and last night i heard tons - it sounded like a kennel.

I'm new to rural living so don't know too much about wild life yet.

2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

coyotes yelp, howl, growl and bark same as dogs

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

You can also hear them yelping back and forth from one ridge to the next.
    I think what makes them distinctive is their yiiippping and high pitch.

Pretty cool & sometimes hair raising.

I contain my dogs at night as they run in packs & can go after dogs.

4. perennial

One of my cats usually sits under our deck or on top of the deck and she wouldn't budge and come in last night. Finally, when she did she didn't even try to be let out later. I know cats are a delicacy of coyotes, but i have
    a cat that will just make me insane if i try to keep her in all night. I have
    been trying to let her stay out until i go to bed and then let her in so she
    will stay in and be quiet. Because we had lived in a surburb in MA they were used to staying out all night and the worst they might encounter is a skunk.

Since we have moved into our new house in a rural place, it's been a struggle with one of them because she doesn't know if she wants to be in or out at night - probably because of the sounds and complete darkness. Will a coyote come up onto a deck? I had thought of putting a small dog house type thing on our deck (we have a door that opens up to it). Maybe she would feel secure there and be able to "be outside" because when she comes in, she walks around the inside of the house and then starts wining or being noisy to go back out. Also if the "house" was near the door i'm not more than 5 feet away at night.

Any suggestions

5. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I rmemeber hearing them one night - eerie sounding but still dog like, it's the yipping like said before.

6. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

To me they sound more like jackals or hyenas -- mocking, yipping, yowling, laughing. Less barky.

7. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

They are aregular cacaphony of noise. One can sound like 20. They yelp, howl, yodel and make some noises I can't describe.

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

They sound like a combination of babies crying, geese squawking and a dog with his tail caught in the door.

Horrible...

9. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Perennial!

You probably are hearing Coyotes. We hear them too but the way the sounds bounce and echo around the mountains here it's always impossible to tell exactly where they are. I read that there's quite a large population of them in this county. So far we haven't actually seen any.

When we lived in Washington state we rented a farmhouse on 180 acres. The Coyotes would come right up to the backyard fence about 20 feet away. They were very bold.

Hope you are settled into your new house. I still plan to come over and see you before too long. Once the garden is in and we've caught up on some things.

Hope your kitties stay safe. Ours our outside 24/7 and no problems so far. They have a little house on the front porch and seem to make good use of it at night.

Pauline

Pauline

10. perennial

Thanks pigeon lady,

I hope the cats just figure out that they are best off to stay in at night. The never go further than 10 feet from the house if that, but i can't have them in and tearing up the rugs either - as hubby says neither one is good for their health! I do find that if i give catnip in the evening, they do sleep a bit more. The bigger one has a hard time getting on the bed, as she used to sleep there every night, so maybe if i figure out what she likes besides catnip,
    she stay in at night.

talk to you soon, perennial

go outside - here the fire flies are out tonight.

11. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

We have lots of coyotes some nights they are howliog in all four directions at the same time. We would love to have cats and have tried it three times first time the coyotes got them on the front porch. The other did not last more than a couple of days.
    'Our coyotes seldom bark to me what you are describing is a coon or fox hunters pack.
    Right now the coyotes have pups or what ever you call young coyotes and seldom to they make much noise this time of the year. Just my observation.

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Yes they will! They are BOLD!

13. baddogbad

baddogbad Active Member

to me their yelp sounds like a dog that's been hit by a car.

its creepy...

14. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    The coyotes have come up into our backyard, in daylight, standing 10 feet from me while I was getting into my car in the driveway right beside the house. And they did NOT run off or hide. They can be very bold. We have a pretty good (bad) population of them around here, and I have 9 barn cats, and so far, none of the cats have been gotten by them. (crossing my fingers)
    I second what the others said, they make all kinds of weird sounds. The pups seem to sound more like a dog to me, though. When they get big enough to start traveling around with mom a bit, they just sound like pups barking.
    Good luck with your kitties!

15. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I hear them howling like wolfs at times,, huskies can sound like that too. I have seen two in bright daylight at the wellhouse. There never used to be any around here.

16. GranmaKay

GranmaKay Active Member

Everything said here about the coyote is true, they have no respect for anything even humans. I have never heard of one attacking a humanbeing but if game is scarce I would fear for a little child. I have lost cats to coyotes as I lived in Arizona for a long time and the coyotes would search the neighborhoods looking for cats, small dogs, rabbits, or other meat. I have seen them carrying their prey across a busy four lane highway.

They are skillful hunters, their calls at night can be scary as they call to each other. The yip yip yip at the end of a howl is a trade mark. They have a wide variety of calls some sound like barking, but there is always the howl and yip. I don't care for the buggers myself as everything I own is coyote dinner.

17. Quinton

Quinton Active Member

Coyotes WILL come into the yard, up the porch and into the house if there isn't a human/dog near to scare em off.

Yes, they KNOW they can outrun you!! Just sit back and kinda laugh at you until you get something that can outrun them, a bigger dog, or a gun ;)

Lost two cats in NM because we kept the dog penned up and the cats wouldnt have the sense to come in near the dog or its own house at night.

When we let our dog loose, the coyotes didn't come anywhere near the house.

Just sad that we lost our dog when we moved, and now the cat is gone missing 3 days ago.. I suspect coyotes! :grump:

18. WyoDiane

WyoDiane Active Member

Perennial:
    You might warn your neighbor with the three-legged dog. We had one (dog) and DH caught two coyotes trying to lurk the dog out into the pasture. One was playfully romping and the other was belly-crawling behind.

19. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

True. we hear the Coyotes all the time at our new property and were never really bothered about them, but they howled alot. Our daughter left us her husky while she and her hubby got settled...and the poor husky has been howling all night every night. Seems the husky has to respond when he hears the coyotes.

20. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Coyotes will use a girl coyote in heat to lure a male dog out to where the pack can jump it.