Coyote -- yikes!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longearsfarm, May 16, 2005.

1. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

Of course I know we have coyotes "around."

And the newspaper has reported a number of assaults on small dogs lately...but still and all, when I turned into my driveway this afternoon and watched a coyote saunter across it, then stand, no more than 20 feet from me in the woods and stare at me, well, it gave me the shivers.

DD and I shooed in the chickens, and made sure my PG (and small) ND goats were secure.

And I was wondering why my dog (a normally quite docile and not too bright Newfie) has been barking a lot.

And my donks have been braying a lot too...thought they were complaining about not enough hay, LOL, but now I'm not sure.

Anyway, just had to share. We are surrounded by woods, which I've always viewed as comforting. Now, I'm not so sure.

One question: our driveway is bordered by woods on both sides, and is about 1/4 mile long. DD and friends often run down it, get my mail for me, have adventures in the woods, etc. I'm feeling like now that I've seen a coyote, forget it...and of course I will. But I'm curious...will they attack humans?

I won't risk DD to find out of course, just curious :)

Valerie
    LongEars Farm

2. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I was always told they wouldn't come around people. I was told they would avoid getting close to a house. The ones out here have no fear.
    The man down the road told me they used to never come so close.
    I did a little research online after several just stood beside my truck one evening watching me. Of course by the time I got in the house to get the gun they had left. My concern was they weren't afraid, more like....mmmm dinner.

When coyotes are in close association with man with no disturbances (trapping or hunting), they are less timid and are frequently seen during the day. In these cases, coyotes can become quite bold.
    Near cities or in areas where hunting and trapping is not allowed, coyotes may be aggressive. In urban settings, they can lose their fear of people and may even threaten domestic pets. Although attacks on humans are extremely rare, there have been cases where coyotes have attacked young children.

I am not in a city and we are allowed to hunt. Hmmmmmmm

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

the thing is, coyotes are breeding w/domestic dogs that are dumped (strays) and therefore, aren't as fearful of humans as they once were. they are also becoming more accustomed to our presence and that familiarity lessens their fear. while i doubt a coyote by itself would attack a teen or older, esp when with other kids, i wouldn't let my little ones play unattended for even a minute w/a coyote that brave floating around. be prepared to kill it sometime soon.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

yes they will attack humans,if by accident you cornered one or got to close to pups most definatly.

5. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

and they're much braver when they're running with others of the canine group

6. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Coyotes are bad enough, but the far worse evil is the wolf (lobo as they are called here in NM). After many years of effort, the citizens finally eradicated them. Now, the tree hugger crowd through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have reintroduced them to the environment.

One rancher I know over in the Blue Range of eastern Arizona had a pack of wolves lunge through his screen door into his house. The wolves mauled his dogs and nearly him and his wife.

Now the FWS is trying to kill off a re-introduced pack in the Gila that has taken to killing grown cows! (Actually, they pretty much eat them alive.)

It's just a matter of time before they start taking people down, like they used to.
    I've talked to a few "old timers" in the past that have been up close and personal with wild wolves, and it wasn't any fun.

So, once again, the wisdom of our forefathers is forgotten.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

We no longer have a coyote problem because of our farmcollies being on the job all the time. When we did we yelled at them and they ran off. Make a fuss to make them uncomfortable. Remove all the potential free meals they might come back for. A guardian dog should be helpful.

8. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Coyotes + dogs = coydog
    (Search term 'coydog'.)

Wolves and dogs also mix.
    I've got a wolf/German Shepherd mix.

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

As a general rule, no, eastern coyotes will not attack humans. Now, send a small child down the road alone and you increase the chances of an attack. Though it is still very unlikely.

11. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

This is amazing! You learn something new everyday. Thanks
    Ozarks_1 and my apologies to the lady I had doubted! I thought
    they were two different species.
    james

12. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Horses and donkeys are different species

as are bos indicus and bos tarus that's how we get the STRONG hybrid vigor of mules and brangus.

13. Oregon Too

Oregon Too Active Member

In my experience, coyotes will rarely attack a human. I do know of instances where they have gone after small dogs, but not humans generally. On the other hand, a coy-dog will, doesn't have same fears, responds differently than a coyote. I consider them dangerous to humans, esp. small children, and dogs and cats.

Couple of weeks ago, I turned around at my barn and there was a coy-dog no more than 15' away from me. Given how lightly populated my area is, this was not a good thing to see. In the last 20 years here, I hear coyotes almost nightly in the ravines, but have only seen them a couple of times and at a distance. This coy-dog is quite bold. I "missed" him this time, because I had to aim carefully due to farm equipment and he has not been back (probably scared the fur off him). Next time I won't miss, I hope. I have young animals, and a momma horse can only do so much to protect her young from a coy-dog.