coyote traping

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Aug 31, 2004.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

some man stoped by my house and wanted to trap coyote for there pelts, said he had been doing it here for many years before i bought the place. I told him no and then he wanted to know if i let my dog run lose on my own farm, like he may slip in and trap anyway, I informed him that i did, and told him nothing better happen to them. is traping coyote for their hids legal? do you thank my pets have any thing to worry about. I just moved to Maine and this man is not even from here, he just has been useing this land while the other owner lived away and only came up for 2 weeks in summer. I think he feels like it may still be his to do as he has all ways done. sue

2. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

Yes, coyote trapping is legal, and yes, the coyotes are a danger to your dogs and to any small children.

3. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

thank you sue

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind coyote trapping if they used live traps, so if my dog was caught it could be released unharmed.

There are too many coyotes around here.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Trappin coytes and quite a few other fur bearers is still legal in many states, and helps to control the population of animl=als ffrom becoming over populated and have them starve to death or encroach on domestic stock for survival.

Trapping coyortes is usually done in the winter months as that would be when the fur is "prime" and definatley worth more dollars. the past few years coyotes have not been worth the time it takes to trap, skin, and prepare a hide, although anything can happen in a given year.

The type of trap used is something to watch for, did this fella tell you whether he used deadfall, metal traps, or snares?

Most every trapper i know is good, and never intentionally leaves a trap in the woods, however oncce in awhile a person gets sidetracked and leaves one out, and a domestic animal gets caught in it.... and hard feelings endure.

Get educated ask the trapper [ifhe left his name and number] what he would be using, how many traps he would place out and where he would place them.... for 2 weeks you could keep you animals penned up at worst, or in the house... every trap must have in the state of idaho the trappers name and address on it, and if a trapper asks permisson he also is supposed to show his trapping permit to the landowner, just about every state asked that huntyers and trappers ask permission before proceeding...... I hope you treated him fairly.

William

6. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I wish a trapper would work our area for a while. I shoot them all the time but it doesn't seem to dent their numbers at all. I could care less their method and could only hope some of the stray cats/dogs around here got trapped as well as I am tired of being the bad guy by shooting them also.

My only stipulation would be the gutting/skinning takes place off the property.

7. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

I have trapped in the past and probably will in the future as time permits and if this man is responsible I would let him as it will help eliminate some predator of your stock. If he is responsible your pets have more to fear from the yotes than the trapper...

8. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Dear LT WOMBAT. You seem a little spineless as you don't want the viscera spilled on your land. You may reconsider and maybe eat some of the good parts as parts are parts. Maybe if you're so gung ho about killing you may do it yourself and not hide down the end of a gun. Get out there with your knife and start cutting. I would prefer that my dog or cat be killed and hopefully eaten by an animal and not someone without spine such as yourself. If by chance my child runs into one of these beast i'll hope that you're there to tell us about all the children that have been eaten by the coyote. Where. when. how many? We want details.

9. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

Coyote pelts were bringing $40. last year in Iowa. I have not heard any 'singing' but people say they are around our neighborhood.

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

SRSLADE, you obviously have never smelled the remains of a coyote! The remains also attract more coyotes as they cull nothing. I think you read more into Lt. Wombat's reply than was there. I too would like to see mankind keeping his pets at home. I have livestock and I do not appreciate feral animals roaming on my property that I work hard with trying to make a decent living.

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Coyotes certainly have attacked children my neighbors son and his friend were bitten several times. I would let him trap, provided he understands he's on the land at his own risk, uses legal methods, leaves a chart of where the traps are and runs the trap line responciblely. Your dogs should be under your control at all times and unless this trapping is going to interfere with your using the land, he's doing you a favour.

12. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Hmmm, personal attack with 6th grade name calling; how mature!!

If I could get them close enough to kill by hand with a knife, club, bad joke punch lines, I would do it. But since they like to stay out in the pasture with their kills (our stock) I use the rifle.

As for the viscera being spilled on my land, darn right! The last thing I want is something calling more in.

I'm not gung ho about killing, I don’t even hunt or fish. The only things I kill are injured animals, yotes, stray dogs and cats. And our property is healthy because of this practice. Strays only bring disease and death to a ranch.

If I am gung ho about anything it’s raising our stock to an age they can be used or sold. I don't put up 20 tons of hay, plus grain, plus bedding, plus medical supplies and vet visits, just to have a coyote pass by all the deer in the forest (deer are extremely over populated in the Black Hills) to eat a pastured animal because it’s easier for the yote.

Now if I was a truly gung ho killer I would track and destroy them in the wild. Maybe even track them to their dens and kill the pups using carbon monoxide or pouring diesel down the opening and lighting it, but no, I wait until they pose a direct threat by coming onto the property.

As for the kid issue: never personally known a family with a loss, but have seen such stories in the media.

If you feel they deserve to live unhampered by man then please come by with cash in hand and pay for me to have a 12 foot high chain link fence installed around all 1500 acres. Then all 3 of us will be happy.

Until then, PLEASE be civil and don’t launch personal attacks with 6th grade name calling. Everyone on the forum will appreciate it.

13. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Dear agmantoo. I hope never to smell the remains of a coyote. Having said that, i think some of us need a chill pill. Have you had an animal killed by a coyote? How many? I know what it means to work hard but i also know what it means to appreciate and live with nature. It may seem terrible when a coyote kills- to have something to eat- but we, kill for no reason at all.I do kill to eat as i love meat but, if i don't eat it,i don't kill it.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Sue, this guy is "pi^%ing on his territory". You need to decide what you want on YOUR land and enforce it. Period. Who cares what other people think.

We went though a terrible time when we bought our land. People shooting and hunting on our land. We ahd to meet each and every one and tell them to go away. It took a few years but was worth it. We also legally posted our land. That is something important for you to do as well.

There are coyotes here but though I have seen them they do prefer people-less areas.

Keep your territory yours---keep it from other people and coyotes.

15. idahocurs

SRSLADE Have you had an animal killed by a coyote? How many? I know what it means to work hard but i also know what it means to appreciate and live with nature

Yes I have as I use to raise Pheasants for a game farm which you probaly dissagree with to but I would lose 500-600 per year @ $9 each even though I trapped preadator's heavily ( 36 red fox, 2 silver fox, 3 yotes, 57 Coon, 132 skunks, 4 mink, and dozens of feral dogs and cats were traped within 100 yards of my flypens the last year I raised bird's so tell me living with "nature" is a good thing from a buissness stand point...

16. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Snares and lehold traps are the only means for capturing a coyote alive; if one wants them alive.

As for asking about the dog, I trapped professionally for many years and you would be supprised how many stay at home dogs I've caught a mile or two from home. I'd bet the trapper was asking about the dog so S/He could set their traps to not kill the dog while it was roaming about the country side. Knowing who has an unleashed dog is good public relations business for a trapper.

Coyotes have brought good money the last few years but this year trappers and hunters took a bumper crop so there are many pelts being held by collectors, maybe your trapper will opt out of coyote trapping this fall due to the soft market.

When skinning a coyote or any other fur bearer one does not "gut" them; ever. Why bother gutting something when all one wants is the pelt?

I always had a skinning site along my trapline someplace for the purpose of drawing in fur bearing canines. If one wants to clean an area of certain predators, it's a good way to do it.

17. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Worst year for us was 30 lambs. What a shame I just deleted the photos I took for the claim forms, or I would have shared what living with nature can be. To be fair a black bear has moved in to our area and I suspect she has kept the coyotes out, and thus we have lost none this year. First in ten though. Hope she's content with rodents and deer.

18. ksredman

ksredman Well-Known Member

Most trappers are very professional in their work; will check traps daily, will dispatch the catch humanly, and will release unwanted catches. If you live in a rural area, and have pets or livestock, if coyotes are around, you will encounter them.
    As a livestock producer, and a trapper, I have been on both ends of this. I have had livestock killed, and I have had neighbors not let me trap their ground. If the guy is professional enough to come to your door to ask, maybe you should reconsider. Someday you might loose an animal to a coyote, and need his help.

19. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

SRSLADE
    Picture this, young cow having first calf.
    Pack of coyotes kill the calf immediately at it was born by ripping it apart.
    The pack turns on the cow as the calf is devoured
    The cow has her udders ripped from her body
    Her tail is pull off
    Her ears are shreded
    One eye is out of the socket
    I arrrive and the pack runs off and I kill the cow to put her out of her misery.

I attend to these cattle daily
    It took me 2 years to raise the cow to where she could be bred.
    Nine more months pass with me providing feed and maintenance for the cow until time for her to calve.
    The sale of the calf as a feeder calf represents about one weeks earnings from the cattle operation.
    The cow would have been productive for 10 to 12 years if she had lived
    The cow would have had a salvage value of approximately one weeks earnings after having lived a contented life.
    Now, if you have a job SRSLADE and hopefully you have good work ethics and maybe you even take on some risks that are manageable how would you react if I showed up and ripped your check, for a couple weeks earnings, into shreds and then put into position actions that would remove you from merit increases for the next 10 to 12 years and jeopardize your families financial well being?

20. idahocurs