Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Well, either people are way more ignorant here (far north Chicago burbs) or people have embraced hysteria since you moved to greener pastures because EVERY time a coyote is spotted, which is regularly, klaxons go off and people run around scooping up children and pets and barricade themselves in nearest enclosed space.
Ever wonder why Mr. Coyote was named Wile E. ?

Reactions: sharkerbaby

·
Registered
547 Posts
EVERY time a coyote is spotted, which is regularly, klaxons go off and people run around scooping up children and pets and barricade themselves in nearest enclosed space.
+++ +++
There are places and times where that is the best reaction.....

There is a large park in a large metro area in the province, that has a high animal population, and a large number of people who don't have a clue how to live with wildlife, plus idiots that have fed the coyotes,, This has resulted in over 30 some incidents so far of people being hurt.. This all to the point where the whole park has been closed and off limits.. But not stopping determined people from using it.. So the headlines continue...

So yes.. Duck and cover is a good strategy until something changes....
+++ +++
Regardless of what animal is in the picture posted.. If it is causing a problem, the solution is the same...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have my work computer set up on the edge of the living room with a hallway and front door behind me. The other day our yellow lab woofed out the window next to the door. That set off my Pom yapping like an idiot. My grandpeep was sleeping on his mom on the sofa. The dog barking woke him and he popped up, looked at me very sternly, pointed at the door, and commanded "BopBop..GO!!"

·
Registered
671 Posts
Another clue that it is a dog is those weak hocks. American GSDs have been bred to have those sharper-angled hocks that makes the legs look weak. The hocks on a coyote have a much wider angle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bit over a week ago these were caught on my surveillance camera. Both canids looked the same. No glimpse of a collar but that doesn't mean much. I don't know anyone who has shepherds but that doesn't mean much either.

View attachment 98227 View attachment 98227 View attachment 98228

Sorry about the photo quality. They were taken from video stills and the video wasn't the best since the animals were moving pretty fast.
Definitely a GSD

21 - 28 of 28 Posts