Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit over a week ago these were caught on my surveillance camera. Both canids looked the same. No glimpse of a collar but that doesn't mean much. I don't know anyone who has shepherds but that doesn't mean much either.

20210717_011523.jpg
20210717_011523.jpg
20210717_011548.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality. They were taken from video stills and the video wasn't the best since the animals were moving pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clarification, both pictures posted are of the same animal. The other was further away and didn't show up well enough for a good still picture.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have never seen a coyote and probably never will. Because I follow this site and also have American friends living in Coyote country, I tend to do research on what you're all talking about. The way this animal carries it's tail, the saddle markings and depth of chest make me lean towards German Shepherd/Alsatian or hybrid - but like Doc, I'm a bit suspect on the head.

Is it giving problems?

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Dog

Reactions: farmerDale

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not causing problems, just ran through the neighborhood that morning.

I figured they were dogs but wanted more opinons just to satisfy my curiosity. It would have been nice to finally see the coyotes we hear all the time but then I don't want to see them that close to my house.

Thanks for the opinions and reasons for them.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that helps. They are most likely Shepherds then. I wonder where they came from.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A bit over a week ago these were caught on my surveillance camera. Both canids looked the same. No glimpse of a collar but that doesn't mean much. I don't know anyone who has shepherds but that doesn't mean much either.

View attachment 98227 View attachment 98227 View attachment 98228

Sorry about the photo quality. They were taken from video stills and the video wasn't the best since the animals were moving pretty fast.
German Shepherd. Coyote tail down will not go around people. When you see a Coyote in the woods it will not like to be close to you. Coyote are larger and weight more then the Dog. If you see a Coyote it will run away from you fast.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Coyote are larger and weight more then the Dog. If you see a Coyote it will run away from you fast.
Not always...Coyotes are not always larger than dogs - Depends upon what type of dog you are talking about. Depends on location and how much they get to eat. Most coyotes I have seen are somewhat smaller than a good sized German Shepherd.

When I used to train my horse, I'd have a coyote sit in the field behind me watching us. Happened for a few weeks on and off.... Old cowboy friend told me he was checking us out for dinner... :giggle:

Reactions: farmerDale and doc-

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
It is a dog. Coyotes tails do not curl up like that.

Not so sure it is a purebred German Shephard - could be a mix.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Not always...Coyotes are not always larger than dogs - Depends upon what type of dog you are talking about. Depends on location and how much they get to eat. Most coyotes I have seen are somewhat smaller than a good sized German Shepherd.

When I used to train my horse, I'd have a coyote sit in the field behind me watching us. Happened for a few weeks on and off.... Old cowboy friend told me he was checking us out for dinner... :giggle:
When I lived in the 'burbs on the edge of the Forest Preserve, coyotes regularly prowled the nighborhood. Nobody had livestock to protect, so they were safe and knew it. One time, as I was loading hay delivered at the street to carry to the barn in back, one ambled lazily down the middle of the street and passed within 10 ft of me. He did what they characteristically do-- amble on for 20 ft or so and then look back over his shoulder before mozying on.

They are smaller than a Shepard, but bigger than a breadbox,

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
When I lived in the 'burbs on the edge of the Forest Preserve, coyotes regularly prowled the nighborhood. Nobody had livestock to protect, so they were safe and knew it. One time, as I was loading hay delivered at the street to carry to the barn in back, one ambled lazily down the middle of the street and passed within 10 ft of me. He did what they characteristically do-- amble on for 20 ft or so and then look back over his shoulder before mozying on.

They are smaller than a Shepard, but bigger than a breadbox,
Well, either people are way more ignorant here (far north Chicago burbs) or people have embraced hysteria since you moved to greener pastures because EVERY time a coyote is spotted, which is regularly, klaxons go off and people run around scooping up children and pets and barricade themselves in nearest enclosed space.

eta- P.S. I'm pretty sure you lived in this general vicinity so it must be that people have embraced hysteria - aren't we all sooo grateful for that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts