Coyote Just Got my best hen

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Jun 14, 2005.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I was in my office glancing out the window when I saw a red and gray coyote (it seemed way too big to be a fox) prancing off with one of my hens. The LGD was in the house. We grabbed a gun and tried to follow him, but he ran up the mountain, out of my range.

Any guess on when he will return? I thought they hunted at night, but this was at 2:00 pm central time. That was a good bird! :grump:

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

:grump: Aim straight!!! Get that bad coyote!! :grump:

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

What was LGD doing in the house??? On vacation??

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Its probably feeding pups. I dont mind lossing birds to hungry coyotes but i do mind losing them to my neighbors well fed dog :no:.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I saw 5 coyotes running across my beanfield at 1 in the afternoon last week. I don't know if they got flushed out of somewhere or what but they were running full speed. I got off a few shots but they were running full speed at 300 yards so I was scaring them more than really expecting to hit anything. They have been getting really bold too. I've came home sometimes and seen them right up by the house. They have learned that if they see me it is go time and they head for the nearest tree line. I've got a few skins this year but I'd have to kill a couple dozen to even make a dent in the population. Between the coyotes, foxes, stray cats and dogs it is really playing hell with my struggling quail population.

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

AND DON'T FORGET THE WILD TURKEYS!!! Quail is a blessing, and very good!

7. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Sorry about your hen...I can relate:

The bad news is a fox or coyote got some of my quail the other night...

The good news is they only took the extra roos which were becoming really annoying with all the crowing and were headed for freezer camp anyway...

The best news is that what ever took the quail also dined on one of the woodchucks that was destroying my garden...

ah, the circle of life...ain't it grand sometimes

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

It will be back til the smorgassboard is closed. every 12-36 hours. I've found the best repellant is eat one of them and then pee on your perimeter, about 50 feet from any livestock fence perimeter. they need hunting grounds too, just dont want that to include the hen house. LGD is a great 24/7 solution if you dont want to shoot the coyote.
    Coyote meat is great for meatloaf and meatballs etc, but tends to be on the tough side for steaks

9. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Good to know that ground coyote is good eating. When we trap the one coming into our barn, we won't waste the meat. It's hide will cover Paul's chair.

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Coyote meat is aweful!!!!

I don't know one person that has tried coyote, and likes it.

11. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

George was right...the coyotes came back, in during the day time no less...birds were fine in the AM when I left for work. Came home in the early afternoon to a real mess. Time to put a stop to this before there's nothing left. Guns are out as the neighbors are within range of a ricochette. Compound bow / tree stand is an option...might even be good practice for deer season. Traps are another option...anyone know of a good set for coyote?