Coyote hide

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wy0mn, Dec 21, 2004.

1. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Got a beauty today while deer hunting.
    Anyone know the best way to tan a 'yote? All the websites I've found are for hides with the hair removed.
    Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays to alll, regardless of religious affiliation.

2. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

I have tanned a raccoon and fox with the fur on using a tanning kit. But from what I've read you can tan one with hair the same way as with out only leave out the step of soaking it in water/lye or so on to remove the hair. The major thing to watch out for is if your not careful the hair will slip and your hide will have bald spots. I put a question on hear about a week age "Anyone have natual recipes for tanning?" if you want to look at the responses. Here is one website from Ken that is very informative http://www.braintan.com/intro/wetdry5.htm I hope it helps-Emily Anne.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I always send mine out to be tanned. I tried doing my own a few times and they didn't turn out nearly as nice as the ones I had done. An awful lot of work too.

4. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Try www.Sulivan'sline.com or get a subscription to Fur Fish Game Magazine.

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

6. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Thanks Oak, that was cool. Refreshed an old memory too. My Great-Uncle Henry used to use the same basic steps.
    He taught me to trap, but we usually just stretched pelts on a stretching board, scraped them, then they were picked up by another fella.
    I'll bet Chagnons has tanning compounds/solutions too.
    Four deer to date. One w/recurve (my longbow was misplaced), one w/black-powder (not a flinter this year), two with .45-70. Sorry Santa!
    Merry Christmas