Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had coyote or a pair visit in the afternoon. Only saw them at night before. I do have a dog in heat kept in a high topped cage when going out for potty breaks. Not worried for her safety at yet. Its a dubble chain link 8 ft tall ect.
Anyway my large male cat was having non of this nonsense. After a pretty good fur up the coyotes left my yard. This is the same cat that has a fox girlfriend. He has all his shots and rabies up to date. He got Small patch of fur pulled out no open wounds. With gloves i bathed him just in case of rabid spit.
Question do you think the day time visit was just because of my Brussels griffon being in heat? Or should I let natural resources know of a daytime visit. 2nd do coyotes (thinking bonded couple) show interest in dogs being in heat. As in when the male is with his /a female coyote?

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to let DNR know about the coyote visit, but our ranger said it's not terribly unusual. We had one come right into the yard and steal a chicken a few years ago, bold as brass! The coyotes around here can be very bold, but that's usually when the numbers are up.

We haven't had a problem since we got the LGDs.

ETA: p.s. My MIL's buddy up in northern Ill-annoy breeds the sweetest Brussels Griffons! When I get around to having a small dog, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll get.

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I used to have a coyote sit in a field next to where I exercised horses - daily, watching me. I thought it was cute so told an old cowboy friend. His reply was "the coyote is just sizing you up for dinner." :LOL:

Sounds like your cat is on top of the situation. Coyotes are just part of the way of the world. Why panic and tell DNR? You raise Dinner, your responsibility to keep Dinner safe. Coyotes help keep the rodent population down .....

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Daytime visits are not unusual. If the coyotes are paired up, and indeed mated, I don’t see that the dog in heat will be of much interest, as coyotes breed in February only. Next time, make their visit ahmmm, memorable, shall we say, and that can mean whatever you want. Even change memorable into memorial if you have critters on the coyote dinner plans. Keep coyotes wild. They need to be shot at here and there to keep them that way. Unfortunately in today’s society this is frowned on more and more. It if you have lost animals to coyotes, it is not something to take lightly.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't hurt to let DNR know about the coyote visit, but our ranger said it's not terribly unusual. We had one come right into the yard and steal a chicken a few years ago, bold as brass! The coyotes around here can be very bold, but that's usually when the numbers are up.

We haven't had a problem since we got the LGDs.

ETA: p.s. My MIL's buddy up in northern Ill-annoy breeds the sweetest Brussels Griffons! When I get around to having a small dog, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll get.
Thanks. Ya BG are fun. Im really not a dog person but the griffon s are a hoot. First dog that I have seen in person run/fly with no feet on the ground.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don’t think coyotes during the day is very unusual .
I get them sniffing around the chickens .
I here them running the ridge behind the house at night .
If I see one 3 times in a week I break out my single shot 22/250 and shoot it .
I just have to weight till they get far enough behind the house so the kids dont see it .

·
Registered
516 Posts
do coyotes (thinking bonded couple) show interest in dogs being in heat.
+ + +
In heat may have been what attracted them.. There interest is likely lunch..
Like said the cat being an appetizer...
V V V V
An 8' chain link fence....
They can climb that in and out quicker than you can get your shotgun to shoulder..
V V V V
If you contact a game commission of any kind, and they start getting reports from the same area, YOU are also on the list to interrogate, I mean interview..

I've been told that here in this part of the bush.. The usual solution is to employ rule 30-06 of the 3S predator management plan to keep from having livestock losses...

·
Registered
295 Posts
We see coyotes during the day around here. Sometimes they'll be running across the street/highway. People have seen them in broad daylight roaming neighborhoods, but I guess that's the desert for you. It's not bizarre to see them in the day.

In our area, there have been issues with coyotes breeding with people's dogs. They can be attracted to dogs in heat and mate through the fence - it happens. Some people have freaked out like wondering if they can legally keep the puppies or what - I don't know what happens. I don't know if it'd really be illegal or not since wolf-dogs are legal here. It was kinda scary when I was at a gas stop and a lady is holding a leash, getting her dog out of the car and it looked like a full-blooded wolf jumped out of her car. It didn't look like a domestic dog at all - wonder if it was even legal o_o or what percentage of wolf it was.

Anyway, coydogs are possible. Your dog in heat can attract coyotes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yrs ago I had a full blooded wolf for a pet. Best animal you could ever get. Coyotes would not come near the place.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daytime wanderings are not unusual for canines. I'd be more concerned about the cat. Coyotes eat them.
He is sitting inside the window for the night. His coyote ride has him hyped up for a second go round. He is more like a dog them my dogs are.
Anyone know if female coyotes follow males to another dog type in heat?
Just never had them in my yard much at all. A run though at dusk. Kinda feels like the wild wild north today huge barn owl, my she fox (peeing on the cat) and coyotes. Kids found a bunch of coyote hair along with cats hair so guess Mac made his point.
I left a message for DNR.
We see coyotes during the day around here. Sometimes they'll be running across the street/highway. People have seen them in broad daylight roaming neighborhoods, but I guess that's the desert for you. It's not bizarre to see them in the day.

In our area, there have been issues with coyotes breeding with people's dogs. They can be attracted to dogs in heat and mate through the fence - it happens. Some people have freaked out like wondering if they can legally keep the puppies or what - I don't know what happens. I don't know if it'd really be illegal or not since wolf-dogs are legal here. It was kinda scary when I was at a gas stop and a lady is holding a leash, getting her dog out of the car and it looked like a full-blooded wolf jumped out of her car. It didn't look like a domestic dog at all - wonder if it was even legal o_o or what percentage of wolf it was.

Anyway, coydogs are possible. Your dog in heat can attract coyotes.
Thanks i have tops on the runs. And dubble chainlink about 4 inchapart. Digging under sure. Guess if a dog mates through fencing them my girl would need to have her butt tight to the fence and front feet dug into the dirt. But my mother told stories of her cat breeding with her rabbit through the cage.
We have quite a few full wolf and wolfdogs here. Contractor that built my house had full wolf on site everyday. Very huge but well behaved and nice.
DNR did return my call said its normal.just protect your pets.

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Thread highjack but does anyone have a good Labrador contact. I have lost mine and in need of a good registered black lab.

Must be black.

If it ain't black send it back.

Looking for a good hunting dog. Not a pet, but a family member that likes to hunt birds. Male preferred.

·
Registered
516 Posts
As coyote populations increase there seems and stands to reason they are seen more often.. Sighting during the day are more common as they compete for food closer to human habitat.. To them pets are food.. Humans are sources of food one way or another..

So this all leads to a lack of fear of humans that ends up with encounters.. Then there is human stupid in the mix, like the people who were deliberately feeding coyotes in the Vancouver ...spit... park system resulting in several people getting hurt by coyotes..

In the US and Canadian north east there has been issues with a "coywolf" hybrid to the point of someone dying from an encounter... If, when, how, why this mix comes about has many pieces to the this puzzle which really shouldn't be lumped in with general coyote behavior issues.. Kind of an oranges and grapefruit thing.. Apparently similar at a glance, but different..

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
Coyotes are out and about during the day quite frequently. Nothing unusual about that.

Scent of the heat probably caught their attention, but they would be happy to eat that dog, not keep her around as a playmate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
coy/dogs are the ones to look out for. Keep the pack mentality , yet lose the fear of humans. Almost killed me about 8 years ago. Month before they got me, about 40 mi away they yanked a calf and uterus out of a birthing dairy cow in the middle of the day (while in the barn).

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thread highjack but does anyone have a good Labrador contact. I have lost mine and in need of a good registered black lab.

Must be black.

If it ain't black send it back.

Looking for a good hunting dog. Not a pet, but a family member that likes to hunt birds. Male preferred.
You might try puppyfind.com and breeders.net
Hoobly
Craig list just becareful for scammers.
Facebook has groups for specific breeds might find one in your area.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I was told the Brussel Griffon is and can be difficult to housebreak. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was told the Brussel Griffon is and can be difficult to housebreak. Any truth to that?
I start them young on potty pads at 4 weeks move potty pad outside potty area then nonpad area. So by 8 weeks my pups have to down pat before the leave.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
coy/dogs are the ones to look out for. Keep the pack mentality , yet lose the fear of humans. Almost killed me about 8 years ago. Month before they got me, about 40 mi away they yanked a calf and uterus out of a birthing dairy cow in the middle of the day (while in the barn).
Whoa. We had packs of house dogs in Texas. Chase the horse shoot them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts