Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all I have had an intresting observation(well to me at least).

I have to cut and carry about half of the feed for my dexters as my current pastures aren't big enough for them and i haven't finished building the new fences on the new pastures. and I don't want them getting into my landlords sugarcane as that would probably get me evicted.

what ive noticed is that they don't seem to be interested in the fresh grass but rather prefer day old stuff that has dried almost like hay is this normal I would have expected them to prefer the juicy fresh stuff

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Mupwi,

Cows and people often eat what they like (are interested) first. If they are taking in food, it is good.

Keep the cows and the landlord happy. You too.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Mupwi, you should state your location, as well as the forage type that is available to your cattle. I haven't a clue about cattle eating sugarcane, but I suggest that you confirm that this would not make them ill in case they get into it.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
The grasses go through various stages of palatable-ness. Any grass that is "young/new growth" is selected first. Our cows will eat hay over very mature grasses. I think the folks that have mastered the art of rotational grazing deserve a lot of credit. I haven't. No matter how hard I try, I seldom put the cows onto a paddock at its prime.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry in in kwazulu-natal south africa the pastures are mainly kikuyu.
It is common practice around here to feed sugarcane tops to cows and horses when they cut the cane not sure how they would be with the stems probably too high in sugar but at this point in the season (spring) all the cane is only about 2ft high so all leaf.
Im bringing in napier aka elephant grass for them from down by the river it is prety much the sole feed used in the kenyan dairy industry when fed from yound planys under 4ft (it grows over 12 ft) im just finding it strange that they prefere the stuff that has dried a bit to thoes are fresh and juicy both cut from the same stand at the same stage of growth.

all I can think of is that at there previous home they were only fed low quality hay and they have developed a liking for it or maby im not giving them enough roughage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts