Cow's milk for lambs?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Maura, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

A ram lamb was born today about 11:30 a.m. The ewe did a wonderful job of doing the mom thing. She is reluctant to allow nursing, but she's doing better about standing still. About 5:00 p.m. she delivered a ewe lamb. She again was great with licking and singing. She didn't love the ewe lamb long though and is rejecting her. I've been giving the ewe lamb colustrum formula that I saved from before, but I'm almost out. I have some for the morning, but I don't think it is enough. TSC doesn't open until ten. Can I give the lamb cow's milk to supplement the formula?

2. Maura

I just read the post about putting vanilla on little fellas. Okay, I'll try that and maybe I won't need the formula :banana02: :goodjob:

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I know that whole cow's milk works for kids, I really don't know if it works well for lambs.

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

That's a long time between deliveries...you are talking about the same ewe and twins, right?

5. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

In a pinch, you are much better off using goat's milk.

6. Maura

Thanks. Yes, this is the same ewe with twins. I had enough colustrum in the freezer to take me through the first morning feeding at 6:30. Well, probably not really enough. TSC had an eight pound tub of milk replacer for lambs, kids, goats, foals and calves, so I got that.

The vanilla trick got the ewe to stop butting the lamb, but she still won't nurse her. Yesterday, Friday another ewe dropped twins, but one was stillborn. Today I have that ewe in a jug with her lamb and the bummer, both doused with vanilla. I hope they figure it out in favor of the bummer.

7. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you strip out the wax plug in each of teats before letting the lambs nurse?? I always strip the plug and milk out some colostrum to ensure good milk flow.

8. briefarm

briefarm New Member

I have raised many a bottle lamb on whole cow's milk. Once you start on something, that is what you should stay on. I have two lambs on cows milk. I am milking our own cow and they get that milk (as do we). Raw or store bought is fine. We warm up the milk to warmer than my body temp. and give them all they want to eat at that feeding. To start, I feed them five times a day for the first week, then work my way down to three and the last two weeks I go to twice a day. I use a human baby bottle and they are now three weeks old and they drink 2 - 3 bottles full.

You can also give cows milk (NO REPLACER FOR GOATS, PLEASE) to goat kids. The best recipe is 1 gallon of whole cow's milk, 1 cup of buttermilk (I also use the powdered buttermilk) and one can of evaported milk. Many, many people use this with success, no scours, no problems and healthy kids.. most importantly.

Also, smearing the lambs on her hind end also helps with the bonding if she rejects one. Vicks also works around her nose. Squirting her milk on the tail and top of head of the rejected one sometimes works.