Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dh planted cowpeas just for fun. However, I have no idea what to do with these critters. The seam to want to vine up. I know there are vining and non-vinning types. Should I do the little tee-pees or should I do a long string across the row and give them some strings to vine up. How much will these guys vine or not vine. Thanks. babysteps

A

·
0 Posts
The actual climbers aren't too common any more. It's not uncommon for the bush types to vine just a little though. I'd watch them for a while yet. Do you know the variety he planted?

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I've never seen anyone support cowpeas. The tallest I've known them to get is about three feet. What variety did you plant. I always plant mine in wide rows or blocks. They tend to support thereselves better that way and keep the peas off the ground. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
planting cow peas for fun? :) We grow lots of them each year, our fingers stay sore from shelling these guys, but they are so good. The first year I planted Pink eye purple hull and some (I think) California wonder cow pea, anyway we thought they were going to vine out so we staked poles down the row, and placed runs of twine so that it would hold up each side of the plant, worked good but a mess to clean up after the growing season. This year we just let them run, planted in wider rows, have peas out the ying yang, not much problems with peas on the ground. Enjoy the peas, they are best home grown!

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I just talked to dh and he gave me a solution too. But silly me I should have checked the variety before I posted. I do think it's California wonder. I'll give them some more time before I use dh's solution, because I bet based on what you-all are saying that they won't vine much more.

:walk:

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
They make a very good covercrop also. I like to block plant a crop to come off Two weeks before first frost. That way if I need more to freeze or give away, I pick them, if not I broadcast annual ryegrass over them and cut them in soil. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts