Cowgirlone: Old Bauldy ?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

When you used the dip and pour method w/ Old Bauldy, how did you do it? I am going to butcher two sows this weekend and my elbows both have mild tenodonitis so lifting them is out of the question right now. when I tried the dip and pour it didn't work so I've always had to hold the pig in the vat. Thanks :)

2. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

Howdy Tango & Cowgirlone, Don't think I can help with DIP and pour method. last weekend slaughtered three hogs, two black haired and one red haired hogs. I have a 90 gallon barrel, large enough to lay hogs in and cover rather well. The first hog I had the tempeture of the water at 143 degrees, after two minutes nothing, ten minutes still the hair would not pull. Ended up shaving the hog. Next hog brought the tempeture up to around 150 and it helped some, still required shaving parts. The last hog raised the tempature to 165 and it worked much better, so much for the directions on OLD Baldy, not sure what I did wrong, but the recommended tempeture did not work for me at all, felt more like I set the hairs more than released them. The first two hogs took us about four hours to scrape and shave, the last one about thirty minutes (much better). They dressed out from 350-450 pounds, sure glad I have block and tackle and tractor lift, otherwise I would be dead now. Don't think this helps any, but I thought I would update my progress.

Also Scratching hogs and providing a "Quality of Life" to pigs has its drawbacks come killing time, this was the hardest thing I've done in quite a while.

Regards, VAPigLover

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I balled my eyes out the first time. It has gotten easier in the sense that I no longer purchase pork from the supermarket- those pigs had it rough. They didn't know about scratches or "life," even. I hope you find peace knowing your pigs did know simple pleasures.

Don't know what to telll you about the Ol Bauldy. Seems like if my water temp is outside their parameters it doesn't work. I measure the water temp with a laser gun btw. How did you measure yours. Did you stir it up so that it was a uniform temp? It might just be a temperamental product. Like I wrote in my post, the dip and pour didn't work for me at all.

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Hi Tango, when I use the dip and pour method I had to have the water hotter than what was recommended. (by Old Baldy) I tried it at the recommended temperature and it didn't phase the hair. I just kept raising the temp until I got to a temp that worked.
    Also, I used cheesecloth to cover the hog where I poured the water. It helped hold the heat in longer. I think any kind of cloth or burlap would work, I just used what I had on hand.
    We did three more hogs last weekend with no problems. These were black haired hogs.
    Hope it works for you this time, It sure saves your back!

I have one more to go then I'm through for the winter. :D

VApiglover, it gets easier over the years, the meat for the winter makes it all worth while. :)

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks cowgirlone, I have cheesecloth I can use. I've got five more to do- been slacking off on the pigs while I built a fence. Slacking off sure is hard work :)

6. cowgirlone

"Slacking off sure is hard work " :haha: :haha:
    Hope you have a good weekend Tango!

7. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

Tango, Cowgirlone, Noticed I never answered you on the temp questions, we used a deep frier thermometer and others had a temp gauges of their own and they all seemed to register about the same temps. Not sure but the water could have been contaminated with Lye, not sure how it would interact with OLD Baldy, but something did.

I'm over the crying and all, finnally finished with the meat last weekend, I did the three hogs bacon/hams in a combination wet/dry cure, then spent what felt like an eternity ajusting the temp on my hotplate in my converted freezer smoker we built.

I won't change a thing, a happy pig sure tastes good, that smoked bacon is spanky good, everything was excelent, you can't buy this stuff in no store, and those pigs were punished (unhappy pigs taste bad) :)

VAPiglover

Thanks for all the help!

8. cowgirlone

VA, I know I had to up the heat before I could get the hair to pull off. Next time will be easier.
    I like to use brine for my hams and bacon, ANY home grown ham a bacon is good!! :D A friend of mine has a freezer smoker, works like a charm. I use an old home made smoker that we've had for years, it's not pretty but it works.

Glad to hear everything worked out well for you, wish I were there to try your spanky good bacon. :D

Tango...........how did your weekend go? Did you get finished?