Homesteading Forum banner

Cow ??

432 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  suswaski 
#1 ·
Hi-
I would just like to get some opinions from you cattle savvy people.
We have 4 acres of GOOD pasture here in Washington state. Currently we are running 2 Herefords, a yearling heifer and steer, plus have 2 goats. We are planning to butcher the steer in the Fall.
We've been kicking around the idea of getting another female to keep the heifer company. BTW, we plan on getting her bred in a few months when she is approx. 15 months old. A guy my husband works with has a Holstein/ Hereford cross that he would like to sell. She is 7 years old, a very easy breeder ( but open) and calver, produces lotsa milk, and her udder looks pretty good to me-- does not hang down too far, teats not too big or too small. He is asking 650 for her. She is HUGE, probably 1500 lbs.Very tall big-framed cow, halter-trained gentle, can be milked.

She has a 6 month old steer who is not going to be sold with her. She was bred to an Angus for that steer, only with the bull for 1 month before settling. She has had 2 other calves, no problems. He is a pretty good stocky looking calf. He may be nursing a little still, they have not been seperated.
So my question is, is her hugeness outweighed by her gentleness and proven capabilities, or is she just too huge for our place and winter feeding budget?

If we were to get her, what would be a good cross for a rapidley growing baby, or would they always be slow to mature because of the big frame of the dam?? Could I put two babies on her if I wanted to since her milk production is good??

Thanks for you help!

Susie

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I would take her in a heartbeat. If your pasture is good, and doesn't go belly up in the winter, feed shouldn't be a big issue. Of course your budget has a lot to do with it. If she's lactating now all the better. I don't know about a good cross and development, but if you can raise another calf on her, and have plenty of milk I think that would be great. Just make sure she's healthy. Why do they want to sell her? When was the last time she was vet checked and tested for TB etc.?

Where in WA are you. We'll be moving up that way soon and I'd love to find a deal like that.

Jan

#3 ·
My husband called and said we are going to get her. If we end up with too many cows for our land and budget we can always sell some. It's too hard to turn down a cow that is a proven producer, halter trained, etc. He is selling her because he just has too many. She is very healthy looking in great coat, but I will ask him about Tb. She was used in FFa by his son when he was 12.
I forgot to mention that our Herefords were not gentled when we got them, and it is slow-going to get them comfortable with us touching them, etc.
We are east of Auburn.
Susie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.