cow with tumor on head

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by daisymae joanie, Feb 17, 2005.

1. daisymae joanie

daisymae joanie Active Member

this is my dads girl.suzie is a 11 year old hereford/angus cross.she is bred every year and lives like the average beef cow.dad said yesterday while feeding he noticed she has some sort of knot on her head.at the top just behind her fluffy spot,says that it is as big as an egg and has no hair on it,so i guess she is rubbing it.she is eating well and other wise seems fine.i told him maybe she got a splinter or something and it is trying to abcess.what do you think?i hope it is nothing wrong inside her brain or anything serious.thanks in advance for helping sorry my details may not be so good as i have not seen it yet.thanks

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Is it free floating or fixed? If it is free floating it is more than likely an abcess.

3. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Is the cow polled or dehorned or does she have her horns? It could be an abcess from an earlier dehorning operation if it's in the general vicinity of where her horns once were. Of course, if she's genetically polled, that wouldn't be the case. Is there a little hole in the knot? The heel fly lays eggs on cattle's legs which hatch out into grubs that burrow into the cow's body. The grubs migrate to the back of the cow and make a little cyst (warble) with a hole in it for breathing. The larvae develops until it needs to pupate, then it crawls out and drops off. If the thing is killed inside the cow she can have a reaction to the dead larvae inside her. Usually these things are along the spine. It would be unusual on the head, but I guess possible.