Cow with new calf - discharge a week later

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Kat, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Our cow calved on June 5th, had a large bull calf. We got home after the calf was already up and nursing and cow had eaten all evidence of birth. All seems well, however, yesterday (little more than week) we noticed the cow having a mucous/bloody discharge. Since we are newbies with cattle, is this normal a week later? Her appetite is fine and the calf is nursing well. We bought her at an auction, therefore, don't know how old she is either.

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

it's possible she's still having normal discharge, but you want to watch for pus or other signs of infection. if you can, take her temp and that may give you a clue if there is an infection present. if there is, you'll want to treat the infection, usually a couple rounds of la200 will clear it up. don't let it go as it could interfere with her breeding back.

jena

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Kat
    I would say that it is not uncomon. I would be concerned if there is a large amount or a stench or strong odor. The cervics should be closed and the mucous is just natures way of doing a little house cleaning :eek:
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

PS

The blood should not be bright red ''new'' blood!!!

4. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info - we are keeping an eye on her and so far, she is doing fine! I am a new member and really appreciate this site and you for your care, concern, thoughtfulness and last, but certainly not least, all the valuable info!! :) I'm sure I'll be reading and asking more questions down the road...

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

It may be a retained pacenta. Normally they come out within a couple of hours of birthing. If it is retained, it will rot. Usually not a long-term problem, but may cause her not to rebreed for a while. You might consider a round of something like LA200 to be on the safe side.

Ken S. in WC TN