Cow Sitters

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jena, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I am bound and determined to go home for Christmas this year. I am originally from California and I haven't seen my mommy for Xmas since 96.

Usually, when a trip is needed, either my husband or I go, not both of us. If we both go, we ask his sons to feed the cows. My husband doesn't like asking his sons and will tell them to the minimum, which they do. I don't like it because I worry about my cows.

I want to hire someone to cow sit while I'm gone. That way I can nag and be the slave-driver without guilt :)

At that time of year, taking care of the cows includes putting out round bales (the tractor and bales are right there to do the job), running the feed bunk (which can be cantakerous and finicky....I have to fiddle with it quite a bit), putting out mineral and checking the waterers (which are rarely a problem).

How much should I expect to pay someone to do this? It usually takes me 30-45 minutes to run the feeder and maybe an hour to put out hay every week or so.

Any ideas on finding someone?

Thanks
    Jena

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jena, I'm not sure how much you should expect to pay. Do you have a retired cattleman in your area that you could hire? My dad sold his cattle a few years ago and he's probably busier now than he was before. It's the best of both worlds for everybody, folks can leave their cattle and not worry at all about livestock or equipment. Because of his income bracket, he charges nothing and many of them are the same but he usually makes out like a bandit in gifts. Failing that, is there a young guy that's struggling to make a living in agriculture near you? They can always use some cash or beef but in either case, you might want to figure out a trade instead of a cash paymnet.

3. Annie in S.E. Ohio

Annie in S.E. Ohio Active Member

We have had good luck using local homeschooled high school age kids to critter sit for us, homeschooled kids tend to be more responsible than standard kids,and if you contact the homeschool folks in your county you should have a broad base to choose from, they put out a newsletter every month and you could have them contact you directly if they are interested.

We pay 20 dollars a day for one trip out to the farm for daily chores, there is about two hours worth of work, the hardest is cleaning stalls, the animals are free running in and out, so there is not a large quantity of manure they are dealing with. There are four horses, four cows, barn cats, four large dogs, flock of chickens, and wild birds that need daily care, they even walk the dogs. They have a half hour drive to get here ( it's not mileage far, but curvy, dirt roads that make it take longer) so we figure it's almost ten bucks an hour, including the gas to get here. If gas prices keep going up I'll have to raise it to 25 dollars a day.

4. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

5. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Am located in Texas. *SIGH* I'm trying to find a ranch hand job at the beginner's level and I have two catahoulas (one is half catahoula half heeler) dogs that want to work cows/hogs and I wanna do right by 'em. Contact me by email at: TedH71@yahoo.com if you think you could use my help. My lease will be up by May and am hoping I can get a ranch hand job else where. Main problem is I don't have transportation so that's a bit hard for me. Thank you.

Ted