cow shocked into a seizure

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Today while i was out in the pasture one of my dexter cows ran her head into the electric fence.She stumbled away with her tongue hanging out and then went into a seizure, stumbling around half crouched over.Falling thru the fence and wrapping the wire around herself. I ran and turned off the fence .She got up but definetely had no idea where she was for about 4 minutes .The other cows ran over to try to help her but she was just walking around in a daze.still stumbling into everything in her path.Has anyone ever had any this kind of experience when a cow ran into the fence.I have been wondering if when she pushed on the fence it could have pushed into the pole at the same time as the pulse hit her, somehow causing the shock to be worse.The pop that the shock made as she hit the wire was very loud.Only moments before, another cow had brushed the fence and got shocked and had a normal reaction.I had just let them into a new pasture and for some reason they were reaching under the wire to get something that must have been very worth the risk

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Holy moly, that's awful! Thank god you were there to shut off the fence!

I wish I had some advice but I don't :eek:

3. NRS Farm

NRS Farm Well-Known Member

No I never had any reaction to the fence like that. I agree it was really fortunate you were there to shut off the fence.

Two thoughts come to mind. Some animals are more sensitive to electricity and IMO yes she could have possibly had a seizure. I heard of one dairy farmer who had a cow touch a fence, after others had previously touched it, and then it fell over dead. They talked to a vet and he said basically she was oversensitive such that the electricity hit her heart. Reminds me of the freak accidents where people are hit in the chest or on the back at exactly the right time and causes their heart to fibrillate and go into cardiac arrest. This has been documented several times esp.. in children. The second thought is that she "jerked" or had an "exaggerated" rection which then caused her to fall etc. Between falling down and getting additional shocks from wrapping in the fence she may have been pretty dazed and disoriented. Hard to tell without really seeing it.

4. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Poor cow, what a good job you were there. The other thought is, have you checked your fence lately, could something be wrong there? I know you said your other cows touched it, but maybe they only just skirted it-just a thought. Put a fence tester on it and see what it is putting out, How's the cow now?

Carol K

5. The cow is fine now.THe fence tested out ok around 8.5 kilovolts.it was a freaky site for sure.Hey Carol ,is the dakodan site down for a reason?

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Hmmm, well it's not down now, but it may have been. Korey is swapping to a new server pretty soon (final time I hope) and that should fix all the problems we have been having.

Carol K

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Holy Moly! Can anyone spell Trolly?