Cow Question??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by sancraft, Jul 26, 2004.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I was wondering, if I were to mix a milk cow ( say a Jersey cow ), with a meat cow, would I get a cow that be used for milk and meat?

2. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Sancraft,
    If I understand you, you want to cross-breed a Jersey cow to a beef bull, say an Angus, and then are wondering whether you could milk the resulting cross? Are you interested in building up your dairy operation from a foundation cow (Jersey)?

While you could certainly milk heifers from this cross, most people use the beef bull on a dairy animal as a terminal cross. The resulting cross will be a lesser dairy animal than your Jersey cow, so for a family milk cow, be better to stick with the purebred.

I've milked Hereford cows, but never heifers from these terminal crosses. I run a dairy herd (Holstein) and a cow-calf operation (mainly Angus cows, but some Herefords and Shorthorns). My preference would be to stick to purebreds for milking (Jersey is a good choice, but so is a Shorthorn).

Another route you could go is to get a dual-purpose breed, such as Milking Shorthorn (or Devon, Scottish Highland, Dexter) and that would lessen the need for the cross-breeding. I have milked Shorthorns and think highly of them. Many others who post here can talk to you about the advantages of Devons and Dexters, which are good "homesteader" breeds.

Some time ago, there were some good discussions regarding different breeds and there advantages and disadvantages as family milk cows on the homestead.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Lots of people cross with Black Angus,to have smaller Calves,but most of the time not counting on the Heifer for a Milk Cow even though she could be milked.

If I had an older Jersey and wanted to hopefully get another heifer for a future Milk Cow I would breed her with Jersey.If you happen to have a Bull Calf,Band it and you will still have some tender Beef.Just won't get as much meat.

big rockpile

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have been around beef and dairy cows my whole life; well, so far, and I have never seen a more remarkable breed than the Milking Devon for "milky" looking cows with great udders, and "beef" looking bulls. I have crossed one of my Jerseys with my Milking Devon bull and have no doubt that bull or heifer calf, in my homesteader situation, I will come out on top of the game.

The Milking Devon is a primative dual purpose breed and when crossed with either dairy or beef cow will produce a great terminal cross.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

5. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

more info

bottle calve
    quality of replacer

see post on info need for sick calves/cows