cow poop

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by 3QUIN3, May 29, 2005.

1. 3QUIN3

3QUIN3 Member

We have cows and two new calves. Found white poop in the barn today what could it be??? One of the calves, just doesnt act wright doesnt want to play just walks around chewing at his side. Just seen this when I went out to feed tonight. Was gone all day so I havent got to watch him... Thanks

2. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

sounds like you have a sick calf. Get some electrolytes such a pedialite, probiotics (yogert works ok, if it's got live cultures in it) and keep him warm. Is he nursing from mom or a bottle calf? He may have gotten hold of something that he shouldn't have...there's no hardware around is there for him to play with. Cattle will eat metel and get hardware disese. Do you have a vet that will come if needed?

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

It sounds as though your calf has White scours - undigested or partially digested milk. Predisposing causes are probably stress factors, lack of colostrum, irregular feeding, over-feeding, transportation and wet and cold. Can happen up to 3 months of age but usually in the first two weeks of life.
    Take the calf off milk altogether for a day but ensure that it gets 4 litres - umm, that's about a gallon - of electrolyte solution as replacement fluid.

If you don't have any electrolyte to hand make up your own by dissolving 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1tsp salt and 4oz glucose in 1/2 a gallon of boiled water.

If the calf doesn't improve get hold of your vet. It will also pay to isolate it from the other one.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I'm not sure if pepto would work for white scours, I know it can be used on scours (the all out runs), and has an effect. Cayopectate might work too, but as I said what it usually is used on is scours, the nasty squirts.

Jeff