cow not "letting down" for substitute milker?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., May 9, 2005.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I'm going out of town Tues. night. I've noticed that the person that milks for me doesn't seem to milk Corabelle as efficiently. Corabelle seems so tight when I milk for the first time back. I had to go away overnight this past week and when I milked her for the evening milking, her udder was very full and she milked out over 2 gallons instead of her usual 1.5. I thought about it and I think she may not be letting her milk down for the neighbor who milks her. I wonder if there is anything I can do about it. Corabelle has never had mastitis and I don't want something to happen now. I'm going to be gone for all the milkings on Wed.-Fri. My neighbor says she massages Corabelle's udder and milks her out, but....

Thanks for your input.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Christina,
    It isn't the neighbours fault, it is the cow. She won't like the difference in routine and handling and will hold back. My cows are the same. I don't worry about it as I know what the problem is and it is very unlikely it will cause mastitis.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

In my pitifully small experience it seems that all cows grow impatient with their milker late in their lactation, and a stand-in doesn't have a chance of getting a full let down of milk.

I bought my Lucy 11 months into a lactation and she was still giving about 3 gallons a day. I milked her twice or three times before she settled in after the long trip up here, and then she refused to let me milk her. Kickng big time. I called the gentleman who sold her to me and she had been giving him about 4 gallons a day. I think she just couldn't accept me as her calf so late in her lactation, and bear in mind that Lucy is the loviest cow one could ever hope to meet. She lives to be petted and milked; mostly to be petted.

There is a short film called "Tulip" that every cow guardian ought to see. I think it was produced in one of those "down-under" countries.

4. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I read a review about "Tulip". It sounds wonderful. I wish I could locate a copy. I'll try interlibrary loan. I think it is my husband's worst fear!!!

I always appreciate your posts Haggis; I especially liked your moniker describing us as "cow guardians". It keeps our role in perspective.

5. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

We have not left our farm in over a year...Milk twice aday...Ms. Ellie is spoiled rotten and my husbands pride and joy...For awhile after the calf was born she won't let her milk done good until after he had given up trying to milk her...we tried every trick in the book...Finally took the calf off the cow after we got the calf on feed and Ms. Ellie took a few days and got back in her old routine...They get us to the routine and the masters..just like me they don't like change and show it in the best way possible...but if the neighbor is getting that much milk I think their is no fear of masitis...She misses you...:)...MissKitty