Cow losing all it's fur? Help

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by EmpressG, Apr 22, 2006.

1. EmpressG

EmpressG Member

I have a Jersey about 7 years old. This spring I see she seems to be loosing all her fur. If she were a dog I would think she had mange. I saw a few other cows on other farms looking like this a few weeks ago , so I didn't pay much attention at first. But now she looks really weird, with most of her fur missing around her head and shoulders. What should I do? I have owned her about three years, she had a single calf three years ago,but she has never been re-bred as we couldn't find a bull or AI person willing to come for 1-2 cows.

Any suggestions? Being a skin thing I didn't worry to much, but should I? It has been really dry here so they are still on hay until this week, very late for us. Poison plant of some kind?

Empress

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Since this doesn't sound like she is shedding, and sounds more like her hair is coming completely off. I would suggest treating her for lice/mange, more or less a condition. Not sure what to use, so I can't reccomend what to use. Our beefers during the winter sometimes have big patches that come clean off, however this isn't because of mites, or any other problem. It is because their hair is worn off due to the ring feeder, which is metal, and they also rub trees. I would treat it though, call your vet or a vet and ask them what to use, and get-r-done.

Jeff

3. Tad

Tad Well-Known Member

Internal parisites can cause hair lose, I would try a wormer. You can use a pour on for lactating cows that should kill both internal and externals.
    Best of luck

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Lack of sunshine over winter months can lead to fur loss. We would apply an all-around pour-on product like Cydectin, then keep her out in sunshine.
    Also, we would find nearest farm with a bull and haul cow to the bull, barter or pay stud fee and get cow back on path to productivity.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If it is any internal or internal parisite, Ivomec injectable will do the trick.

6. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Is she itchy? It sounds like lice to me. You can give her a good soak in permetherin (diluteds as per package instructions) 2 weeks later douse her again and really rub/brush it in each time it should clear it up.

7. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

another thought on the not being able to get her bred. Call your local Cattlemen's association, likely there's someone around you who keeps a field bull they will loan you to get your cows bred. Most of them are happy to loan them somewhere in the off season even for just 2 cows.

8. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

As most of the hair loss is around the head and shoulders, I would almost guarantee lice. When did you last treat her for internal and external parasites?

As has been suggested, injectable Ivomec will deal with the problem as will nearly all of the pour-on drenches. However, if she doesn't need internal worming, there are external only products available that can be purchased through your farming outlets.

Cheers,
    Ronnie