cow is limping severely

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Doc, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Cow is limping on her right front foot/leg. I can't see anything wrong with it except that it is twisted out a little bit (the way they walk sometimes).

She's not one I can get into a stall easily at all. She won't let me get too close. Took her water today, and she drank it; then, immediately got up and grazed, but I can tell it is hurting.

Anything to look for? Any suggestions?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

No suggestions. Your going to have to get her in and have a good look at the hoof, joints, and check that there is nothing wedged between the toes. Look for bruising to the hoof, splits or cracks and swollen and/or warm joints.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Check her hip/shoulder as well. Hi Ronnie (bluddy vets aye??? :grump: ).

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks. My neighbor, who is as good as a vet, is coming tomorrow morning. We'll try to get a rope on her and secure her so he can check her out more fully.

What I find interesting: the matriarch cow will not leave her far behind. When they started into the upper pasture last night, she called for her to come. Didn't move until the injured cow came in to view. Has been in close proximity all the while, and this is not her offspring. Pretty cool.