Cow family photo

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by DJ in WA, Jan 7, 2007.

1. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Just entered the digital camera world, and my daughter took this photo. I like messing with different breedings of smaller cattle, so here’s what I’ve got so far in 3 years. We'll see if the photo transfers.

Cow in the middle is half Jersey and half lowline angus and 45 inches tall. I take a gallon of milk daily, while calf gets the rest. Whitefaced heifer born July 05 is cow’s first calf from a small Hereford bull and is now 42 inches. Red heifer is cow’s second calf born June 06 from a smaller Jersey bull.

A few points. I’ve read that the fetus determines the length of gestation, and it’s different for different breeds. But these two heifers from different breed of bulls were both born at exactly 270 days. I don’t know if that will continue next time as she’s bred to lowline angus.

The red heifer has already had two heats (first at just over 6 months age). I know you normally wait til 15 months to breed, but I’d like to breed her to a lowline angus bull at around 11 to 12 months. Did that with her mom (who’s smaller) to same size bull at over 12 months and no problem calving. Any reason I shouldn’t do this?
    The semen I have is from a red lowline angus bull that is only 46 inches tall. This heifer should be at least that tall by 18 months.

Edit: Found out can't have anything in the url after jpg. Anyway, let's try this again.

[​IMG]

2. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

That is a great photo! I can really appreciate how diffacult it is to get three critters (animals/children) in a frame so nicely!

Congrats on your beautiful family and your new camera! :dance:

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

SURE doing a good job with those cattle, DJ. :dance:
    As to heifer breeding, I think most cattle folks look to breed when heifer has reached proper weight, more so than by arbitrary age in months. Don't know what guidelines are for the breeds you have their, but for an example it is recommended that an Ayrshire heifer be bred at 650 pounds, whether it is 13, 14, or 15 months old at that time. Either way, they have to be old(sexually mature) enough to produce a good egg to settle.

4. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

Great picture DJ. From everthing I've read and been told be vets, "breed by weight and not age."....

5. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Good "family" shot there...probably because your daughter took it and you couldn't have if you tried! I know, cuz I have trouble with my two!!!

Your red heifer reminds me of my bull/steer that was born Jul 10. His cross is 3/4 Guernsey-1/4 Red Angus, so he's red, too. We weight-taped him yesterday at 610#, so he's still gaining at over 3# per day. Never have taped his height. Maybe we get to eat him-- RibRoast-- sooner than 18 months if this can be kept up? His dam is over 1400#...big for so much Guernsey in her. Good cow, tho'.

6. DJ in WA

I’ll pass the compliments on the photo to my 16 year old daughter. Maybe it’ll make her more interested in cows and shoveling manure. I tell her the quality boys like a gal with manure smell on them, but she says they don’t. Guess I’ll just have to keep running them off til I find a good one.

I had to brighten the photo up a bit on the computer before posting. That’s one reason I’m going for more colorful cows, vs black. Blacks give too much contrast – just see a silhouette, especially against the snow.

You’re right Julie, when I get the camera and try to get them lined up, they scatter.

Well, sounds like I can base breeding time on size. She’s almost as tall as her mom already, plus I hear that Jerseys calve easier. I can’t see waiting 6 to 8 months more of her coming in and out of heat.

7. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

There's a chart in Keeping a Family Cow on pg. 114 that shows average weight of 610#, height of 44.5'' and heartgirth of 60" at 15 mos. Author suggests waiting till she gets to that before breeding...says that's standard for Jerseys. Chart shows them 515# at 12 mos.

I've heard/read from others it's best to wait till then.

8. DJ in WA

Julie,
    I have that book, but forgot about the chart you mentioned. She’s 7 months old, and I just measured her at almost 43 inches tall – which is what the chart shows as average for a year. Maybe this is why she’s coming into heat at a young age.

I had intended to make smaller cattle, but she’s not cooperating. I guess that’s genetics – somewhat random. We’ll see if she quits growing early.

9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Jerseys (and Dexters) can start coming into heat as young as 4 months old.

10. drypond

drypond Member

loved the picture. real nice looking stock.

11. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

DJ in WA-
    I sent you a Pm a couple of weeks ago- did you get it?
    Thanks!

Susie