Cow Brain Sandwichs???

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken Scharabok, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040115101709990001&_ccc=5

At one time pork brains were a regular at the meat department and Dad had his brains and scrambled egg a couple of times a year. A staple when one of his two sisters visited. Here we knew we could back of of them, but had to eat the chicken head and feet soup. There Dad would crack open the heads and eat the chicken brains.

Ken S. in WC TN

2. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....

3. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

Now that's just nasty!!! And to think my kids complain when I make them eat tofu - I could offer up some nice cow brains instead! :eek:

Carla
    :)

4. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

Last summer I was at a party where they had a pig roast and one of the older men kept asking the pig roaster what he did with the head after it was cooked. The guy told him that he thows it out, so he asked him to save it for him. When it was done this guy ate the tounge, the eyeballs and the brain. Me being so adventurous asked to try it . Let me tell ya not really that bad, he served it on thinly sliced italian bread with a squirt of fresh lime. Dont really think Ill try it again but wasnt that bad.
    John

5. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Many of the parts of animals that we normally throw away have a great deal more nutrition than just the muscle meats we usually eat.

I guess it is partly due to what you were raised on. My mother, who grew up on a farm during the depression, didn't want to waste anything. If she had a cow tongue, that is what we had. Plain and simple, waste not want not.

I would certainly be cautious of a beef brain sandwich now days with Mad cow and all going on.

6. Ken Scharabok

New fast food fad: The McBrainer. Burger King can then advertise their's are 'No-Brainers".

My mother told me when her father slaughtered large livestock he caught the hot blood in a glass and drank it. I guess it would have been a vitamin and mineral source.

Ken S. in WC TN

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Knew a woman who was from France. University lecturer. Born there, had lived there before and after the Second World War. She had tuberculosis, and needed tonic food - rich in easily-digestible proteins and easily assimilable minerals. She had a doctor's prescription which enabled her to go to the abbatoir de la Society anonime de l'hippophage (roughly right, although I may have mixed up genders and other bits'n'pieces) - anyway, the slaughter house for the horse butchers - to get a bucket of fresh blood twice a week.

I used to eat lamb's brains - very rich and smooth - loved them. However, even if it wasn't inviting trouble these days (Australia is free of endemic prion diseases like scrapy or BSE) they still have something like 60 times as much cholesterol as ordinary meat, so not on.

8. You get mad cow disease from eating nervous system of infected animals. Don't eat the brains of any animal. Not worth the risk.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ahhh, but...

In England when in-bone beef was banned, there was a black market in it. Became the 'in thing' to serve ribs or such at dinner parties.

In Japan one species of blowfish is eaten. Unless it is prepared exactly right it is highly poisonous.

You are going to die eventually of something - maybe even only old age itself.

Ken S. in WC TN

10. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

Never had brains but what about the what about the green stuff in lobster. Mmmmmmmmmmmm good.
    Up

11. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Four times a year, throughout my childhood and teens, I'd spend a couple of weeks with my grandmother. While I was there, she always prepared my favorite dish, calves brains with scrambled eggs.
    I've never had the nerve to make it myself, and wouldn't eat it now because of mad cow disease.

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I haven't had Brain Sandwich in years.My wife use to get me pounds of Turkey Fries,cook them up for me talking about good.Use to have Blood Pudding haven't seen that around for awhile.

Just can't find no good eats anymore.Well at least you can still get Pickled Pig Feet :D

big rockpile

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

....and all the toxins flowing throught the animal, and adrenaline ect.

Pagans got into that I guess. There is some tribe they showed on tv that raises cattle just for the blood. They shoot a sharp tube into the neck and "milk" them and drink it. They rarely kill the cattle to eat. blech blech blech

14. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

southerngurl the mix Milk with it,makes it so much better :p

big rockpile

15. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

Ok Ken, 'fess up, you started this just so you could make the fast food crack, didn't ya?

My grandmother made delicious blood pie.

And Upham, about the green stuff in lobster (I love it in crabs, same thing). Isn't it a great way to get it all to yourself? Crowded at the crab pickin' party? just start slurpin' the green stuff out of the shell....

ok, I'm done, I'm a nice civilized girl, really I am.

16. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

I've only had crab once blue crab and it was scrumcious the green stuff too :D
    Up

17. Used to have scrambled eggs and brains a couple of times a year until BSE came along. Now I'm raising my own beef, so maybe I'll chance it. Also love sweetbreads, both kinds, heart and of course tongue, both smoked or pickled. As an aside, the guy who got the Noble for prion research said a few years ago that they were everywhere thanks to all the farmers and gardeners who use bone and blood meal for fertilizer. We ain't getting out of this alive, so pick your poison wisely.