cow about due to calve

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by pioneermama, Mar 12, 2005.

1. pioneermama

pioneermama New Member

could anyone tell me what to look for in our cow thats bred and should be calving this month?? Signs..? I am concerned that we dont know enough about this, but I was raised with cows and have ahd them most my life..however I used to have a husband to help me .the kids and I are homesteading, and have to do it ourselves which is fine, I just need to remember what to look for..slime? swelling? body changes?? can anyone help. She is a registared Jersey, and very healthy and in top weight. thanks so much.sher

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

A calf on the ground would be the first clue. *;o)

Cow off alone, bagging up possibly but not always, around her tailhead sunken.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

They get floppy in the rear end (her very personal parts). Bag up. Slime can drip from a few days before to a couple weeks before. They usually go off alone when they are within hours of calving.

If she goes down and is obviously straining, you ought to have a calf within an hour (usually much less). If no calf, or the wrong parts are showing (should be two feet followed by a nose), you'll need to intervene. They usually do better if you leave them alone.

Jena

4. opus

opus Well-Known Member

One note though, dont rely soley on bagging. I have calved many a cow that had no bag til a day or two after she calved.

5. pioneermama

pioneermama New Member

thanks so much for all your info. I guess the reason I am so worried is she is only 13 months old, she came this way and was not supposed to be bred at all.
    She is small, but everyone says Jerseys calve the easiest..still she is a baby herself...

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I seriously doubt that a 13 month old will have a calf this month! :no:

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I agree. That would mean she was bred at 4-5 months and that just ain't gonna happen.

Jena

8. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Dont be too agreeable!

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

They can cycle that early, it just isn't very common.

Has she been pregnancy checked by a vet? If so, and she is actually pregnant, your vet should be aware of her anyways. It is quite likely the heifer, along with the calf will be lost. That is far too young for a Jersey to be calving.
    Does she have any udder at all yet? A first calf heifer tends to start developing an udder months before she is due...though not always.

10. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Happened to me many years ago. Well, not me, one of the calves. :) She calved at 13 months and all went well. I was rather impressed at how well it went. I kept looking at her daft, thinking she looked bred.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do we have a calf yet? :confused:

12. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

They can be bred at four months, but I would be very concerned, keep a good eye on her, she maybe fine, but maybe somebody has her age wrong ?

13. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Go up on HER right side, not yours. Put your fist, and bump her. See if you can feel a calf. Generally if you don't have to bump with vigor, and search for it. It is getting closer, generally I find they are easy to bump when they are 2-3 weeks off, on down.

Jeff