Homesteading Forum banner

COVID-19 Vaccine

21K views 487 replies 40 participants last post by  rebar 
#1 ·
I received the first covid vaccination shot today (Monday, 01/25/2021). I got the Pfizer vaccine. Second dose is scheduled for Monday, 02/15/2021. Shots were sponsored by the Southern Nevada Health District, were given by the NV National Guard, and local fire department paramedics were present in the event of a serious adverse reaction.

They had us wait 15 minutes before checkout, to monitor for adverse reactions. I didn't observe anyone having a reaction while I was there. It went pretty quickly. I was only in the building for about 45 minutes.

There has been a lot of talk on the news about a covid passport of some sort, to officially demonstrate that you have been immunized. They gave me this card, but I don't know if it is all I'll get.

See less See more
#4 ·
My dental student got his first dose of the vaccine a couple weeks ago. He hasn't had any side effects from it.

Did you get a pamphlet describing the type of vaccine and the effectiveness? My dental student was under the impression it used a dead virus to activate the immune system.

#17 ·
Nevada must be handling things a bit different than you previously expected because you'd mentioned previously that you expected a much longer wait because of your position on the list.

Given the shortages of vaccines for front line workers, I'm sure you feel very blessed.
That's true. The governor lowered the second group age from 75 to 70, which included me. Previously it was unclear when I would be eligible because they were waiting to see how the 75 and older vaccines went. I do feel somewhat blessed to be getting the vaccine this early in the process.

#15 ·
My son works at a hospital and many workers have received the Moderna vaccine. The first dose seemed to have only arm soreness, but my son said there was a pretty nasty reaction to the second dose reported by many on staff. He said 12 hours after the second dose he was really sick for a day, and so were many others. Just FYI...

#16 ·
Alice, he got the Moderna one. I didn't ask to see the pamphlet. He said he got the shot and I asked if it was supposed to prevent covid or just lessen the symptoms. He said he thought it would prevent it because it was made with the killed virus. I don't know what he read or where he got the info. He didn't get a sore arm which he expected so hopefully all goes well for him after the second shot.

I will ask Mom to send me a copy of the pamphlet. Pop is scheduled to get his shot this weekend.

#54 ·
Alice, he got the Moderna one. I didn't ask to see the pamphlet. He said he got the shot and I asked if it was supposed to prevent covid or just lessen the symptoms. He said he thought it would prevent it because it was made with the killed virus. I don't know what he read or where he got the info. He didn't get a sore arm which he expected so hopefully all goes well for him after the second shot.

I will ask Mom to send me a copy of the pamphlet. Pop is scheduled to get his shot this weekend.
I think the only way to get what most consider a true vaccine, i.e., injection of dead or attenuated (weakened) viral material, would be to travel to a country that is using the Chinese or Russian versions. In talking to a molecular immunologist, and reading, it seems one reason these companies have tried so desperately (and failed) to get the mRNA and DNA injection therapies approved for over a decade, is that there is such a small amount of actual viral material present, it is difficult to "extract and grow" it in mass quantities. The fact these companies tried multiple times to get FDA approval and failed due to both short and long term adverse effects was a big red flag for me.

The efficacy rate they refer to on the news actually measures how many people create antibodies in response to the injection, not how well it prevents people from contracting Covid.

#18 ·
Looks like Nevada has a plan and is instituting it well. They are revising it as need.

"Nevada is moving to a new COVID-19 vaccination strategy that will allow the state to distribute doses to essential workers and priority segments of the population in tandem.

Under the new, highly anticipated plan, which state vaccination officials detailed at a press conference with Gov. Steve Sisolak on Monday, the state will shift from its previous system of vaccination “tiers” to a new dual “lane” strategy, which will allow workforce vaccination to occur at the same time as mass vaccination of the general population. Each of those lanes, however, will still be divided into priority groups — with public safety workers at the top of the workforce sector and elderly Nevadans at the top of the general population group."

#23 ·
Ampholytic is a property related to electrolytic chemistry, These vaccines are pretty organic so I would be surprised if it was an issue. I tried googling but didn't find anything.

A lot has been said about allergic reactions from covid vaccines, but they are rare. The CDC is reporting about 11 cases per million vaccinated people. That's an incredibly small number.

#28 ·
Here is information about anaphylactic shock and the injection

That article confirms my post #23 of 11 allergic reactions per million doses.

During December 14–23, 2020, monitoring by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System detected 21 cases of anaphylaxis after administration of a reported 1,893,360 first doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (11.1 cases per million doses)

That's 11 cases, not 11 deaths.

#31 ·
The head of the the EMS in our little burg and the only paramedic in the county, was told by his doctors not to take the vaccine due to his allergies.

#34 · (Edited)
Nevada,
Yes, a single yellow jacket sting that occurred in my own backyard in Austin, Texas, during the summer between my seventh and eight grade years. Almost died. Looked like the scary dude in the film, The Goonies, due to swelling.

I don't know the exact chemical makeup of yellow jacket venom. It was injected into my arm, much like a vaccine. Here's what I found:
"Bee and wasp venom contains a cocktail of substances, including mast-cell degranulation protein, hyaluronidase, acid phosphatase and lysophospholipase, histamine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. Melittin facilitates ion diffusion across cell membranes, breaking down the resting potential and leading to the sensation of pain. Melittin also works with phospholipase to hemolyze red blood cells.91,97 Apamin, a peptide, is the major neurotoxin in honeybees. It is permeable to the blood–brain barrier and thus has direct CNS effects. Peripherally, it selectively and potently affects the potassium permeability of cell membranes and causes convulsions when injected into rats.
"Wasp Venom - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics.

It's simply another piece of the jigsaw puzzle of my life that leads me to the decision not to get the Covid injection.

#56 ·
All five in my family have had the shots, two got moderna and 3 of us got pfizerated. Because they work slightly differently, we hope all of us to be able to do J and J by late summer, once everyone who wants a shot has had the opportunity.

Boots on the ground, the vaccines are so far holding the variants at bay and are proving highly effective at preventing disease and lessening the chance of spreading it both.

We are continuing to follow cdc guidelines now for the sake of others who haven't been able to get the shots. But at some point in time, I am sure the folks who are pretty well protected will stop the efforts to protect others and just figure, "Well, stinks to be you I guess." That was what I heard one guy say to an elderly man. The elderly guy had said since the other guy was unmasked he would appreciate it if he let him have his 6 feet of space. The younger guy said "Why, I won't die if I get it." The old man said he might die himself, though, and the younger guy said, "Well, it stinks to be you I guess."

I think the next issue that will be all heat and no light will be the vaccination passports. Some want them, some don't. I can see some will be mightily ticked off if some states or countries go that route and some don't. For example, if Italy decides they want them and someone from the US wants to fly there without proof of vaccine status, they might get their hackles up with Italy does not let them deplane. Or depart NY in the first place.

But I figure that will work itself out over time. If the bug gets more deadly and starts to spread more rapidly or mutate more rapidly, more folks will insist on knowing that others around them are safe to be around. On the other hand, if we reach herd immunity quickly the idea will go away on its own. Takes time to find the balance of freedoms and responsibilities. Where I live so many like the fact they can do whatever they want on their own land. But the same people get het up when someone puts a hog farm in next door to them. Or they want to farm their land as they please, but get riled up when a neighbor has bradford pears and they spread onto his land. We will get it figured out, that balance of freedom and responsibility.

#58 ·
We are continuing to follow cdc guidelines now for the sake of others who haven't been able to get the shots. But at some point in time, I am sure the folks who are pretty well protected will stop the efforts to protect others and just figure, "Well, stinks to be you I guess." That was what I heard one guy say to an elderly man. The elderly guy had said since the other guy was unmasked he would appreciate it if he let him have his 6 feet of space. The younger guy said "Why, I won't die if I get it." The old man said he might die himself, though, and the younger guy said, "Well, it stinks to be you I guess."

That young man was a jerk. Vaccine or no, people are still supposed to follw the CDC guidelines about masking and social distancing. People can still get covid after being vaccinated.

#59 ·
Speaking only for myself, I don't have to follow the CDC. They are a pharmaceutical company. I am not beholden to pharmaceutical companies.
As for the shot, I think it's great that Moderna and J $ J get to hone their chops on their first vaccine without any legal culpability. Pfizer rules for erections, and their criminal history is not important. What is important is that they are saving lives, protecting the old. The key to staying healthy in these trying times is to be injected with a mysterious solution produced by companies which have legal indemnity. If they give you free doughnuts or paid time off that's even better. Doing the right thing is rewarding, that's how you know it's the right thing; because you were paid off.
As for masking and social distancing, those who want to should. Those who don't, should be shot with a potato gun. Germs are the new terrorists. People who don't get shot and don't wear masks, and don't treat other people around them like large germs, should get extra helpings of mashed potatoes. We're all in this together. So stay tf away.

#61 ·
Speaking only for myself, I don't have to follow the CDC. They are a pharmaceutical company. I am not beholden to pharmaceutical companies.
As for the shot, I think it's great that Moderna and J $ J get to hone their chops on their first vaccine without any legal culpability. Pfizer rules for erections, and their criminal history is not important. What is important is that they are saving lives, protecting the old. The key to staying healthy in these trying times is to be injected with a mysterious solution produced by companies which have legal indemnity. If they give you free doughnuts or paid time off that's even better. Doing the right thing is rewarding, that's how you know it's the right thing; because you were paid off.
As for masking and social distancing, those who want to should. Those who don't, should be shot with a potato gun. Germs are the new terrorists. People who don't get shot and don't wear masks, and don't treat other people around them like large germs, should get extra helpings of mashed potatoes. We're all in this together. So stay tf away.

Did you say erections? I was trying to figure out what would have auto corrected to erections....
The sentence I bolded made me laugh out loud, so thank you for that. You hit the nail on the head.
And the donuts - ugh. I keep hearing circus theme music in my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.