Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Voice of Reason
52,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the first covid vaccination shot today (Monday, 01/25/2021). I got the Pfizer vaccine. Second dose is scheduled for Monday, 02/15/2021. Shots were sponsored by the Southern Nevada Health District, were given by the NV National Guard, and local fire department paramedics were present in the event of a serious adverse reaction.

They had us wait 15 minutes before checkout, to monitor for adverse reactions. I didn't observe anyone having a reaction while I was there. It went pretty quickly. I was only in the building for about 45 minutes.

There has been a lot of talk on the news about a covid passport of some sort, to officially demonstrate that you have been immunized. They gave me this card, but I don't know if it is all I'll get.

·
Voice of Reason
52,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations 2069
Yes, interestingly they told me to fill-in my own name. It would be simple enough to fill-in "Claus, Santa" or any other name. It doesn't seem so official...

·
Premium Member
26,655 Posts
My dental student got his first dose of the vaccine a couple weeks ago. He hasn't had any side effects from it.

Did you get a pamphlet describing the type of vaccine and the effectiveness? My dental student was under the impression it used a dead virus to activate the immune system.

·
Voice of Reason
52,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He hasn't had any side effects from it.
All was fine until 7 or 8 hours after the shot, when I got a really sore arm at the injection site. It woke me up a few times last night after rolling over on it. It's still pretty sore this morning.

·
Administrator
19,764 Posts
Congratulations. You said several times that you were looking hard for a way to move up the list and it looks like you found it.

·
Saltine American
6,790 Posts
Directed to 2069

·
Voice of Reason
52,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Congratulations. You said several times that you were looking hard for a way to move up the list and it looks like you found it.
Well, I reasoned that without a spleen that I should be moved up, but being 70 years old made me eligible anyway.

I was contacted by the city through email, since I pay my utilities online, so I didn't need to go looking for the vaccine.

·
Administrator
19,764 Posts
Nevada must be handling things a bit different than you previously expected because you'd mentioned previously that you expected a much longer wait because of your position on the list.

Given the shortages of vaccines for front line workers, I'm sure you feel very blessed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My son works at a hospital and many workers have received the Moderna vaccine. The first dose seemed to have only arm soreness, but my son said there was a pretty nasty reaction to the second dose reported by many on staff. He said 12 hours after the second dose he was really sick for a day, and so were many others. Just FYI...

·
Premium Member
26,655 Posts
Alice, he got the Moderna one. I didn't ask to see the pamphlet. He said he got the shot and I asked if it was supposed to prevent covid or just lessen the symptoms. He said he thought it would prevent it because it was made with the killed virus. I don't know what he read or where he got the info. He didn't get a sore arm which he expected so hopefully all goes well for him after the second shot.

I will ask Mom to send me a copy of the pamphlet. Pop is scheduled to get his shot this weekend.

·
Voice of Reason
52,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nevada must be handling things a bit different than you previously expected because you'd mentioned previously that you expected a much longer wait because of your position on the list.

Given the shortages of vaccines for front line workers, I'm sure you feel very blessed.
That's true. The governor lowered the second group age from 75 to 70, which included me. Previously it was unclear when I would be eligible because they were waiting to see how the 75 and older vaccines went. I do feel somewhat blessed to be getting the vaccine this early in the process.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,535 Posts
Looks like Nevada has a plan and is instituting it well. They are revising it as need.

"Nevada is moving to a new COVID-19 vaccination strategy that will allow the state to distribute doses to essential workers and priority segments of the population in tandem.

Under the new, highly anticipated plan, which state vaccination officials detailed at a press conference with Gov. Steve Sisolak on Monday, the state will shift from its previous system of vaccination “tiers” to a new dual “lane” strategy, which will allow workforce vaccination to occur at the same time as mass vaccination of the general population. Each of those lanes, however, will still be divided into priority groups — with public safety workers at the top of the workforce sector and elderly Nevadans at the top of the general population group."

·
Voice of Reason
52,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like Nevada has a plan and is instituting it well. They are revising it as need.

"Nevada is moving to a new COVID-19 vaccination strategy that will allow the state to distribute doses to essential workers and priority segments of the population in tandem.

Under the new, highly anticipated plan, which state vaccination officials detailed at a press conference with Gov. Steve Sisolak on Monday, the state will shift from its previous system of vaccination “tiers” to a new dual “lane” strategy, which will allow workforce vaccination to occur at the same time as mass vaccination of the general population. Each of those lanes, however, will still be divided into priority groups — with public safety workers at the top of the workforce sector and elderly Nevadans at the top of the general population group."
Utah has an interesting strategy. They're giving priority to K-12 students so schools can reopen.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Utah has an interesting strategy. They're giving priority to K-12 students so schools can reopen.
I didn't think of any of them were approved for children in the US. Pfizer >16 and Moderna >18...meh, someone else can look it up.

1 - 20 of 386 Posts