covertor/invertor Sam's

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jenn, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sam's in my area has some sort of energy off grid system component- think a 1000 amp? watt? invertor for sale I think cheap. (note- I know nothing about it just wanted you to be aware if you are shopping for one now or soon)

2. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Interesting. If it's a 1KW inverter, I'm not sure what you would use that for beyond a small cabin. Even then a straight gennie at that level of output or greater would probably include A/C access built-in.

Will have to check it out at our local Sam's and see if they are carrying anything like that up here.

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

What size batteries would it take to provide 1000 amps?

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Most of these inveters are sold to be installed in vehicles to power small appliances or TVs. They sell everything from small to large ones at truck stops to be installed in big rigs for microwaves and refrigerators. They generally require 12v input.

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

at truckstops 3000 watt inverters are common

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Jenn---I am sure it is 1000 watt, They don't cost alot(the cheaper ones) Maybe $50 or close. How much is 1000 watt going to do------examples----it would run a 900 watt microwave, you never want to MAX out the inverter for a long period of time. You could run 9, 100 watt light bulbs, or a average tv a light bulb or two several small items------as long as total wattage does not max out the inverter--------Now the Big Question------How long will this run off of a battery that is not being recharged-------That would be according to the Battery size, condition etc. I have ran a tv with vcr (app 200 watts)off a New Deep Cycle battery for 6 to 8 hours before it shuts down. A 1000 watt would be ok--for a small set-up. You will not be able to run a hair blow dryer, etc off it. Randy

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Nope,would not.Common misconception.A 900 watt micro is 900 watts cooking output power,not the Input power needed to run it.

A lot of RVers will tell you that when theyve bought a small genny that didnt actually power their micro's.

BooBoo

8. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Microwaves and gennies almost always have trouble "getting along".

9. Fire-Man

Never done any research or Checked a microwave-------Thanks BooBoo. How much will a 900 watt microwave pull?? Randy

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yep,knew you would appreciate that,cool little tidbit,eh?

Dont know offhand,just know its more than the '900 watts' or whatever it is they mention.IIRC its like 25% more? Something like that,just cant remember.

I first learned of that from an Australian Author of alternate power books.Man is brilliant,wrote the electrical codes in Australia,Colin somebody.If I see his books around here,I will publish his name.His books are very good,especially for newbies.

Fellow helped me set up the solar on the Winnybago,answered questions by email,told me what breaker to get,real good guy.So I was able to not only do it right,but overkill it so I can easily expand it.Probably the books are in the WinnyBeggar as I liked to read them when we traveled.

BooBoo :gromit:

11. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I too noticed, on their website, that Costco was selling some solar stuff. I was kind of wondering about it myself. We were going to buy a small solar system for $500 from a solar system installer (my husband is building a pool for him right now) and was wondering if it would be cheaper to order it from Costco but I don't know enough about solar to know if these are a good deal or not.

Anyways, these are the systems at Costco I saw, they also have some other parts for sale.

Well, the links don't work for some reason. Just go to costco.com and search "solar". They have a cheaper $299 system and two more larger systems ($899, and $1599 I think).

12. Fire-Man

Morningstar-------Without getting DEEP into this-------Giving you something to think about---------------Lets say you get a 60 watt system------------Kinda what it will mean is-- if you were set-up-----if your batteries recieved 5hrs of full sun at close to 60 watts per hr---3hrs of parcial sun at close to 25 watts per hr------you might store 400 watts in your batteries in a day---meaning you could use "close" to that amount out of the batteries-----example-------a 40 watt light bulb for 10 hrs------a 100watt TV for 4 hrs a mixture of a few watts here and a few watts there to total close to 400 watts----not exact here but close. About $5 per watt is about as cheap as you can get larger panels new. Smaller panels usually will cost that much or more per watt. So your 60 watt system is a fair price at $5 per watt if it is a "Good" panel. I am not sure about the "Life" of the system you mentioned, but if I were you I would invest into solar panels with at least a 20 yr guarantee. I seen several used larger panels on E-bay. I have also seen some Small cheap solar panels that melt together in a year. Cheap is not always better. Randy

You can always buy a GOOD(25yr) panel for a few hundred then----a $30/40/50 charge controller---then you will have a good starter system. You don't have to buy a kit.