Covering woodpile

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BetsyK in Mich, Jan 7, 2004.

1. BetsyK in Mich

BetsyK in Mich Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband and I have been cutting wood for a bit and have a pretty good pile for next year. This is the tops of trees cut last February and will be stacked for next winters' use. My husband had me get plastic tarps and we covered the stacks. Now we have been wondering if we are not stopping the drying process by covering the stacks. Thinking that keeping the snow and rain off is important but does covering stop the natural drying process. What do you think, cover or not cover?

2. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Cut last February?? They should have had ample time to dry. Something to think about though is you will get moisture from the ground that could get trapped inside that plastic. We keep our firewood uncovered by a tarp but it does reside in a lean-to. It gets some snow/rain on it but we keep the indoor wood box full and have a couple tubs of wood in the laundryroom thawing/drying. If you keep your fire hot enough, a little bit of moisture won't bother the burn.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Well Betsy, I like to season my firewood for two seasons as well...especially oak. DO NOT completely surround your stacked firewood with tarps. It WILL slow the drying process and may cause considerable mold growth.

What I do is stack the firewood on pallets in long rows which are about five feet wide and five feet high. Then I use a tarp to cover just the tops of the piles. Northern Tool sells long wood pile tarps that are 6' wide by 24' long (or something like that).

I make weights to hold the tarps in place by nailing a U-shaped nail (fencing nail) to the end of a piece of firewood. Then I tie a log to each grommet in the tarp.

4. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

Old metal roofing works well for covering stacked woodpiles. Any covering is better than none.

Eric

5. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

I think what's important is that top surface is covered so that the snow and rain don't really get to soak in the wood. When the sides are left uncovered, the air can pass through and help dry the wood.