Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made soap the other night and I forgot to put the syran(spelling?) wrap on the top. How bad will this affect the soap? It looks fine. Why are you supposed to put it on anyway?

Dana

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've never covered my soaps. Some say it prevents ash, but I think that has to do with many different factors. I've never really had ash be a problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't cover or wrap my soaps either.
Occasionally, I do get the soap ash on a batch of soap. I simply cut it and use it anyways. I know I won't sell the soap with ash on it.
I'm presuming someone who knows better will come along and tell us why we need to cover our soaps. I still won't do it however, I've had too much success with it left uncovered and unwrapped.
If my soap was being left where the cat could get into it, I would cover it. Bugs don't seem to be inclined to fly into it.
Gloria

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Putting the wrap on is my least favorite part, so if I don't have to do it that would be great.

Dana

·
Registered
220 Posts
i've heard that it keeps ash away... but i mainly use it so i can wrap my soap with a towel to insulate and that keeps the towel out of the baby soap.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
No need to specifically cover your soap with a plastic wrap. If you are not letting it gel, the air gets on the top during saponification and creates an ash.

I've read that spritzing with alcohol before & during saponification helps this.

I gel my soaps and rarely get ash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts