Covering broadcast seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jwulf, May 14, 2005.

1. jwulf

jwulf Member

Does anyone have a good technique for covering broadcast seeds by hand? I planted some soybean in a 50' x 50' plot by hand broadcasting and then tried working them into the soil by using a garden rake. Thought I had done a reasonable job until it rained and now I can see there are MANY MANYseeds lying on the surface.

;(

The books I've read talk about using a disk or harrow but I was hoping there was something I could do by hand (especially since I don't own a disk or harrow).

Thanks.

-jwulf
    jwulf@cinci.rr.com

2. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

This may be too late to help, soybeans should be planted 1 - 2 inches deep. By broadcasting, even if they germinate, they will dry up unless you are able to keep them watered for several weeks. Now to answer your question, take a couple pieces of 4 ft long 2x4s and drive several long spikes spaced at 6 inches apart thru the boards so that they stick out a couple inches. Angle the spikes slightly to point in the direction you will drag. Now nail a couple cross members to make a rectangle. Attach a rope at both ends and pull this across the plot. Should help to cover the seed. if you have our famous Ohio clay soil, you may need to add some weight to your "harrow" to dig in. Now beg or borrow a lawn roller, go over the ground with it to help the seed to soil contact.

3. jwulf

jwulf Member

Thanks for the info. So far I think I've lucked out with the rain and have quite a few sprouting. I might be able to keep them wet until they are established. Guess I better look at building a harrow as you suggest.

-jwulf
    jwulf@cinci.rr.com