Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
You should be fine with buckwheat with Berks. As I understand it, only white areas of the pig are affected, and only if those white areas in question are exposed to direct sunlight, and only if they obtain a large portion of their diet from buckwheat grain.

The problem I have with buckwheat is that it is only good for one grazing. I haven't let it set grain before turning the hogs in; I suppose you could do that but then I think you would lose the main advantage of buckwheat as a cover crop. Here, buckwheat can be ready for vegetative grazing in 3-4 weeks, which can be really helpful in a pinch. If you let it go to grain, you are looking at 70 days or so. If I had 70 days to establish a warm-season forage crop, I would lean toward a mix featuring a fast maturing cowpea (i.e. not iron&clay).

Sorghumxsudan can also have prussic acid problems when the plants are young and growing, less than 18" or so. This would unfortunately also be the best time to pasture it with hogs. I have grown it for green manure and it makes unbelieveable tonnage, but I have been too uncomfortable with my ability to manage the prussic acid concerns and so haven't pastured it. I'm sure they would eat it just fine when it is young, I'm not sure when it gets 6' tall and pretty coarse. Dwarf pearl millet is somewhat similar esablishment-wise to sudex, is ready to pasture in no time, regrows great, and hogs love it.

My go-to mix for spring is oats, clover, rape, and field peas (Austrian or Canadian). It is ready for grazing in 45 days or so (weather cooperating, of course). The hogs love the oats (I'm talking vegetative here, not grain), which are very high protein (as high as any legume) until they start to head. Depending on your stocking rate, etc., you can probably get two grazings before this happens. The oats also regrow really well until they start to head.

At some point in the summer, the oats will give up, but by then you will have a nice stand of clover and rape that the oats/peas nursed along. As long as you don't let the hogs hit the paddock too hard, you can rotate them back to this off and on until winter.

You could undersow most any vegetable crop with clover a la Eliot Coleman and have some great hog pasture after the veggie harvest.

What do you use for cool-season(winter) cover crops? Any cool-season/winter cover crop that I have ever heard of makes great hog forage - rye, ryegrass, wheat, vetch, peas, crimson clover, etc. etc. It's the warm-season stuff (like the buckwheat/sudex you mentioned) that for me is a little more challenging.

Whatever species you go with, the key is keeping the hogs either on lush, fast-growing, palatable, young forage, or on forage that has matured and stored it's energy in a palatable, digestible manner (i.e. grain or root crops). The in-between stuff, like typical mixed grass pasture outside of prime growing season, doesn't do much for growing hogs. Regardless, some hogs/breeds will gain better on forage than others.

Sorry to go on and on, but I love to talk about this topic in particular.

Top - a LBHxTam on oats/peas/rape/clover (+weeds) paddock about 60 days after sowing.

Bottom - Some Large blacks on the clover sown with the oats, taken later in the summer (after the oats were gone, after mulitple grazings)
We are in central VA, do you believe these mixtures you speak of would work well here also?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.