Cousins---getting older

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tallpines, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I have 24 first cousins on my Mom's side and 19 on my Dad's side.
    We use to all get together at least 2 or 3 times a year at "Granma's House".
    I didn't appreciate those times enough!

Now most of us are in our 50's and starting into the 6o's...............and we are scattered across many states. It seems we only get to see each other at funerals :Bawling: ............and then the time for visiting is way too brief.

We buried a couple of relatives on Saturday...................and I got to see a bunch of my cousins-----------I'm in a turmoil of emotions today----------remembering all the good times we have had----------and wondering when we will see each other again.

The funerals were those of my 84 year old uncle-------and his 82 year old wife. They would have been married 60 years in Feb.
    He died in the nursing home at 3 a.m. She died at home about an hour later while telephoning her children.
    It was like a fairy tale ending for them.

At the funeral the same Bible verses were read as had been used at their wedding. It was a military funeral-------the proper folding of the flag, the firing of the guns, the playing of taps.

And, all my cousins, and I gathered around.

It was a good family gathering. Uncle Barney and Aunt Alice would have been pleased.

2. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

I know how you feel. :grouphug: I have many cousins also and we always got together at holidays. Now that we are all grown and have families of our own and are scattered all over we don't see each other any more except at weddings and funerals :shrug: How sad is it to have to wait till someone passes away for us to get together :(

I think I need to get a family reunion going. I haven't seen some of my cousins kids yet and they are about grown. :help:

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw the obituary in the paper. What a handsome couple they were and so blessed with a long and fruitful marriage.