Couple questions, dog sore and chick growth

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KrisW, Sep 22, 2005.

1. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

We have 4 New Hampshire chicks, 3 of them are growing nicely, the other one still is very small, they are about 3 months old..
    Her head is still yellow, hasn’t gotten any new feathers on her head like the others.
    She seems to be eating and drinking fine, the others don’t pick on her at all.
    She keeps up with the others and is not lagging behind the groups movements.
    She just seems to not be growing at all.

Have any of you seen this type of thing happen?
    What have you done? What happens to the slow growing one?

Also this is another thing that’s happening …..

My male dog (names Boy, he’s a Golden Retriever, 7 years old) has a round wet sore under his ear.
    It looks like something may have bit him. Maybe a black widow or something poisonous.
    It’s about the size of a quarter, wet and a normal color in the middle, dry and red around the edge.
    He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it much, scratches it now and again.

I have been washing it twice a day and putting triple antibiotic ointment on it for 3 days now.
    It seem to be no worse, but then again it seems no better.

I don’t think it’s ring worm, as that is a dry condition, this is most definitely oozing.

Do you think I’m doing the right thing?

Kris

2. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

On the chick: this past spring I had a TINY naked neck chick that was smaller than everyone else and just did NOT seem to be growing. He seemed to stay in the 'iddy biddy' stage for months. He wouldn't even eat on his own...(I kind of spoiled him...)At any rate, over time he eventually begain to get some pin feathers and now at 8 months old he's still a little smaller than the rest, but gets along just great! I'd say not to worry, just give it time...

The dog, a hot spot maybe? GR's seem to be notorious for hotspots. The antibiotic ointment may only be serving to hold the moisture in and not allowing it to dry up...if it is a hot spot, clipping the fur around it and keeping it dry(a drying spray lotion, like PTD is good)should help...

Hope this helps!

3. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

I agree. Sounds like a hot spot. Needs to dry out.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I second the vote for a hot spot. In fact my golden has one under his ear right now. Getting it to dry out is important. You could try using some sort of medicated powder instead of the ointment. It'll probably take at least a couple of weeks to go away. Also check his ears and make sure there's not a bunch of debris in there that would indicate an infection (you can smell the ear too-yeast infections are very common in goldens). That's what started my dog's current infection.

5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

After 7 years with these dogs I have never seen a Hot Spot, so maybe you people are right.
    I’ll just wash it off and put nothing on it and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for your help.

The little chicken I will just keep an eye on.

Kris

6. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

If your golden retriever likes to swim in ponds or creeks you might try keeping him out of those too. Sometimes that causes or contributes to a hot spot(bacteria). Shave and keep clean.

7. deb

deb Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are located, but if it gets cool at night you might try isolating that chick in box and keeping it a bit warmer. Some chicks tend to get chilled easily and they are so cold that they never manage to eat enough food. Isolating the chick would also allow you to see exactly how much food/water it eats and if there is anything odd about its droppings (which could indicate an illness).

hth
    deb
    in wi

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Ideally, if's it is indeed a hot spot you'll get it cured faster if you shave the hair coat off around it. Then apply a good anitbiotic powder not cream, preferably one with a topical anesthetic in it. Think about allergies in this dog and research diet now before things get bad if you don't think this was just a bite or sting.

We do have a Canine board and a Poultry board here...I'd repost the questions on these boards for maybe more input also.

Good luck with both of them...LQ

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I've heard mention more than once about an antibiotic powder. Where would you get it? Farm store, drug store? Brands? Our Pyr had surgery a while back and they recommended the powder but I never did find it. I ended up just using Polysporin but that wouldn't work well on hot spots. I have a lab that gets hot spots occasionally sot it might be handy to have some around.

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Hi Mrs D! I have two types here now. One from a medical supply co for canines and the other from a supply place for cage birds/reptiles.

Polysporin comes in a powdered form. As does Oxytetracycline hydrochloride .is available in powder as well as an opthalmic ointment..my jar for topical use is 10g/Kg.

You can also get it from your Veterinarian. Powedered AB's are used commonly on dogs for newly cropped ears, some "wet" skin conditions., and are sprinkled inside the abdomen etc. after surgery. ;)

Hope this helps. LQ

11. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for your help.
    With your advice and input, I feel I can take care of things myself.
    That means a lot to me, thanks again!

Kris