Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mon Jul 16, 5:50 PM ET

SLIDELL, La. - A $1.63 property tax bill that never reached its destination in 1996 has turned into a nightmare for Kermit and Dolores Atwood, who are now trying to keep from losing their home over the unpaid notice.

Dolores Atwood calls the events that followed the wayward bill, including the eventual sale of their home at a sheriff's tax sale, "seven years of emotional hell."

"I don't know how much more I can endure," said Atwood, 69, while sitting in a FEMA trailer in front of her Hurricane Katrina-ravaged home north of Slidell.

The couple hope recent state court decisions, which say their home should never have been put up for sale, withstand appeals by a land company.

In 2000, the Atwoods learned their four-bedroom home had been sold in a tax sale three years earlier for the $1.63 in unpaid taxes, plus 10 cents interest and $125 in sale costs.

Atwood said the couple learned of the sale about a week after ............

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070716/ap_on_fe_st/odd_miniscule_tax_bill;_ylt=AjuIZVy1XlHkZEVTFVtHuyouQE4F

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You have to be kidding me!!! Isn't the county required to hand deliver the notice of levy and tax sale? The sale notice has to be posted on the property in question for the 30 days prior to the sale! It sounds to me like somebody seriously fouled up. I'm glad to hear that the court nullified the sale, but somebody needs to do something about that developer. He is still trying to "settle" and get the property. It should be obvious to him that the owners have no wish to sell, especially since they are fighting so hard to keep what they already own! 20 grand over a 1.63 tax bill? Outrageous. Wonder who in the sherriff's office was charged with the job of delivering all those papers that the Atwells never received? Bet they are in his car somewhere........lol

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
pretty outrageous! they are having to fight and spend money to defend something they are the legal owners of. the land company should be forced to pay their legal fees for dragging this on!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/2007/07/elderly_couples_lives_in_limbo.html

Woh..This link has even more details and makes it even more unreal. The original tax bill was mailed to a non existant address, they didnt expect a tax bill but for some change in 911 service surcharge it became chargable. So they had no idea they even owed the tax - But they never got the bill. The company that originally bought the property out from under them sold the property to another company ownd by the same guy.
This company sounds very shady and totally greedy.

~~~
Sumer

·
Registered
762 Posts
We recently bought some propery and when a tax bill never came after 1 yr we caled and asked why..They said they had sent it..To the property..But there is no mail service and our names and addy WERE on the land transfer ..They also informed me that i am in arrears..i told them i never received a bill and they said'That makes no matter..you should have called"
needless to say the bill is paid now AND the arrears,

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
It ain't gonna happen.

The Tax Assessor's office has already admitted they made a mistake, and sent the bill to the wrong address. The sale has been nullified in state court, and the appelate court has upheld the initial ruling.

The state is now weighing in on the side of the homeowners....although I'm sure the publicity is good for the case...knowing how things are done in Louisiana, I would be immensely surprised if a private conversation didn't happen between the lien holder and some elements of state government...as in cease and desist, or we are going to make your life miserable...

6,637 Posts
bumpus said:
Mon Jul 16, 5:50 PM ET

The couple hope recent state court decisions, which say their home should never have been put up for sale, withstand appeals by a land company.

In 2000, the Atwoods learned their four-bedroom home had been sold in a tax sale three years earlier for the $1.63 in unpaid taxes, plus 10 cents interest and $125 in sale costs.

I think the owner of the land company would have a tragic accident. And mabey the top few execs too...and mabey the local tax people.

strange things happen

·
Registered
976 Posts
The owner of the land company should be ashamed. He bought a 90K house for @ $127 and his rights were violated? The guy is a jerk. As soon as he learned of the mistake he should have offered the folks their house back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts