county fair was a good learning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mberryrfd, Aug 15, 2006.

1. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

Well our fair is over,and we learned a good deal.Nex year we will have a few goats and chickens in it.It seems that our fair is geared for the kids and with us not having one in 4H OR FFA THIS year we would have only been able to show in the open class.Which we thought was only for under 8 but that was wrong.
    After seeint the goats that was there we would have done OK maybe not win but OK.There was some dads grumbling about they had a sheep judge do the market goat.Then they would say well this is a small rural area.
    After the animalshows they auction off the top 6 in each animal type I know one of the goats went for 1400 a hog went for 2000 and a steer went for 3000 the better the win the higher it went for, the loacal community really gets behind the kids and there projects
    we will be there next year

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

That's great! We live in a very rural area and my kids are very involved in 4H. We have a lot of fun showing at the county fair and it can be a great confindence builder for children. We aren't one of "those show families" - we do it for FUN! The kids are just thrilled to come home with a ribbon and the experience has always been a positive one for us. Good luck next year - i am sure you will have a blast!

prairie

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

This was our first time to go to our local county fair. My daughter was in Dog 4-H in a different county last year - we had just moved here and she finished the season down there and went to a huge state fair.

This little fair had about 3 4-H goats all from the same person. All the rest were open class. There is no goat group close to us so we are starting our own family 4-H so we can do a lot of different projects next year. I'm looking forward to it! It is so nice to have a smaller fair and not be so overwhelmed like at the Evergreen state fair.

And I just love fairs! Could go to a ton every year!

kids

4. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

This was our second year for meat goats in 4-H at the fair. We happen to live in cattle country. Last year, we had 3 meat goats, 2 families. My son's goat sold for $5 a lb. This year, there were 25 meat goats, and my son got $1.80 a lb. Lot smaller check than last years! But, as more kids learn about goats, we'll see better shows and better sales.