Countryside Mag./Want info...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wolf mom, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Countryside Mag has a well thought out article on The National Identification System. Very informative. Heck, the whole mag. is informative, as usual. Do you know, due to this piece of legislation, every time you go horseback riding off your property - you've got to let the government know?? :eek: It's called tracking animal movement....

There is also an ad for Farm for Life. It's suppose to be a public interest newsletter for homesteaders, etc. Pretty hefty subscription rate ($25.00) for 3 issues. Does anyone know anything more about it?

Someplace, somewhere, there has to be a publication that reviews bills, etc. so I can be more politically aware of things that effect me, a rural homesteader. After the ID fiasco I really need to get involved. (Have to protect my girls and horses). Can anyone direct me towards what I'm looking for?

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

what about dogs and cats ? can my dog still ride to town with me without the FBI comming along?

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

what about the Amish taking there horse to town?

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

In Wisconsin, this goes into effect January 1, 2006 for registration of sites with affected kinds of animals, and there is a $5,000 fine for non-registration of your site (home, farm, ranch).

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Sounds like we need to [​IMG] fight this.

But Wolf, I find that getting involved with my political party locally connects me with the issues of the day and the region. And with other proactive people.

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

IS there a way to fight this? To whom do we write/phone/email/etc.?

Pony!

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

the article gives suggestions of who to contact. hopefully someone will see this and post them, because i'll never remember to

8. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

The Countryside article says:
    NAIS opponents can also individually write their federal and state legislators. You can find contact information for both federal and state officials through www.vote-smart.org or through the federal government's site, www.firstgov.gov. Remember, the conventional wisdom is that individual letters sent by postal mail carry more weight than emails or signing on to form letters. But any input is more useful than no input, so if you don't have time for an individual letter, use email, telephone, group petitions or any means you can.Also remember that both individual inititive and group inititives count so even after you have sent a letter, continue, if you can, to respond to calls for action asking you to send additional messages to government officials.
    In particular the USDA's planned issuance of a NAIS rule for public comment in July 2006 will be a crucial juncture. Be aware of press coverage or action alerts at that time,and when you hear that the public comment period on a NAIS rule is open, please take the time to submit an individual comment.
    Finally, if the time comes when the NAIS (or a state equivelent) is about to go into effect as presently planned, and you feel your rights are being violated, you can contact groups that may provide legal representation without cost. Some sources of information to try are: 1) Farmers Legal Action Group, www. flaginc.org,651 223-5400, (2) The American Civil Liberties Union,www.aclu.org: for the ACLU in your state, see the pull down menu on the bottom of that page, under "your local ACLU" and (3) www.abanet.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm, the AMerican Bar Association's guide to legal services.

So does this mean there is a definite time to speak out? In July of 2006?

9. sros990

sros990 Member

The Library of Congress THOMAS site (http://thomas.loc.gov/ )
    is your source for federal legislative information. You can find bills, resolutions and legislative histories from 1973 to the present.

10. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

11. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I agree Countryside has a great article on this.We the people need to stop this national registration for animals.I like my privacy. BTW so does my animals :D
    tnborn

12. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    The first Independence Day: July 4, 1776

The big day for NAIS: July 2006

That would make 230 years since we kicked the tea kettle of an oppressive, tyranical government. Perhaps we need to water the Tree of Liberty once again, as it seems to be getting a little dried out...

Just a thought.

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

And what about the people that have no idea this even exists?? How can they fine someone that does not know they are supposed to register?? I am amazed at the people that have never heard of this before. Unless they are going to send a letter to everyone in the state to let them know about it, I don't see how they can fine them.

14. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    You are forgetting that the goobers say "ignorance of the law is now excuse." I don't hold that against you, really. I wish I had the optimism that you and many others have when dealing with things like this.

I think that resistance is not futile and that being a CO about this makes sense. The more that refuse to comply, the harder it will be to force it on people.

15. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Probably someone has already mentioned this. It seems strange that the pandemic in the early 1900's spread so fast when automobiles and air travel weren't extensive as today. Makes you wonder if wild birds/life played any part.

If so how are the Feds going to tag all of the wild birds, deer, etc.?

16. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

$5000????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jim - please tell me where you heard this.

This is government gone completely out of control. This is total insanity! Perhaps the government's goal is to consficate land, because I know most around here could never pay that fine, and I am guessing that many did not know about registering.

17. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Good luck fighting this. I wrote letters at least 3 political people and heard back from 1!

He was glad to get my point of view, concerns . . . ..

However, it was also mentioned about mad cow disease and how that spread and how outbreaks like that must be controlled . . . . .

Huh. I wonder how he is planning on voting? :rolleyes:

18. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

It was World War I that spread it. I heard something on a History channel show last weekend that the "spanish flu" pandemic actually started at an army base in Kansas. The movements of the servicemen to Europe and back sped up the spread.

19. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

The Thomas site is super. Will read that with my morning coffee & go from there. :bow:

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks for the links I am going to write my state representatives about my concern with NAIS also I am lucky cause I am in Kosovo as of the other day and have free postage!If this NAIS program becomes mandatory I am afraid I am going to have to leave the farm I worked so hard to create,I will go to south america or somecountry somewhere that is a little less oppressive.This is really sad I never thought America would come to this.