Countryside Mag circulation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Did anybody else notice that Countryside Mag's circulation is only 140,000 an issue? That's not a lot. We need more homesteaders out there! Maybe we could start buying subscriptions for libraries or something.

No I'm not a shill for them! I just like the mag so much I want to share it with people.

Beaux

2. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

I already do buy a subscription for my local library. It's such a good magazine I would hate to see it disappear!

:rock:

3. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Huh, that's a good idea. I never thought of it. Merry Christmas to my library!

Ricki

4. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I just discovered that magazine a couple months ago, and offically started subscribing in November. I rarely subscribe, but I sent in a card I got for a free issue, and within about 5 minutes of perusing that first one, I knew I had to send for it...

I'll be showing it around to friends, but not sure how many will be as taken with it as I am...I live in the middle of the 15th largest city in the U.S.
    (but I do the best I can with the "urban" homesteading - I have nearly 1/2 an acre, which is a lot considering the size of most lots around here...and I have a huge garden - planted 11 fruit trees last spring, plus raspberries and blueberries, and now I have 8 chickens. Soon to be 4 chickens, as 4 of them appear to be roosters, and we'll have to eat 'em before they crow, 'cause no roosters allowed in this city)

5. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Good timing on this post -

I rarely subscribe to magazines, BUT I've heard alot about this one. Is there alot of gardening related info or is it mostly animals (I don't have animals YET & it will be quite awhile before I do...)? I'd probably go ahead & do this one if it would help me with my gardening & other skills (cooking; sewing; self-sufficiency...)

I think I'll go see if I can find a website for them...maybe I can find a free issue ;)

In the meantime, input from the "fans" would be great...

6. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Here's the website:
    http://www.countrysidemag.com/

7. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Just got back from their website (wasn't hard at all to find 'em ;) ) Thanks anyway, Ladycat!

Guess I'll have to subscribe (Merry Christmas to ME)...it sounds like a wealth of info...

So, now the circulation is UP to 140,001 ;)

8. Sacred Wolf

Sacred Wolf Member

My be the perfect gift to get some of these that think I am a bit crazy to see that I am not the only one that wants to live a simply life. And the library is a good idea too. Thanks :goodjob:

9. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

We've subscribed since early 70's and have kept all the issues. I figure I've got information needed to survive almost anything in those back issues.

My dad always devoured the magazine when he visited so I subscribed as a Christmas gift for him for many years. After he read it he donated it to their library where it was very popular. After dad passed away I started giving the subscription each year to their little library as a memorial. Mom is on the library board and said that its still very popular especially with the Amish.

10. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I looked over many issues from the early 80's that my Mother In Law had, loved reading them and have even gone back and reread them. I subscribed, only to find out the magazine had changed and in my opinion, wasn't as good as the earlier issues...I didn't renew.
    Scott

11. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Been a subscriber since I don't remember when. We send subscriptions as Christmas gifts. I just can't think of anything more useful.

12. hesmith

hesmith Active Member

I love the mag also. I have given four people subscriptions as gifts.

13. LuceLu

LuceLu Member

I just entered a new subscription about a week ago. The first issue I bought from barnes & noble and loved it. Another one I like --I just picked up a new issue at the newstand that I think I might have to subscribe too--Backwoods Home. Regarding Back Home magazine I ordered some woodburning firestove supplies from and they came in record time and are fantastic tools-- ashcan, shovel and hot coal shove--but it looks like this magazine changed formats like Mother Earth News did and it is more slick with less info. Not to say the information isn't good, it honestly is. I think they offer an anthology of back issues as well.

LuceLu

14. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

They need to advertise on this site. 65,000 page views a day can't hurt.

15. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:cowboy:

I hope to be moving in a few months so I pick up my copy at the bookstore. If they are only counting subscriptions, there may be more of us buying the magazine than the 140,000. After I move I will be getting a subscription.

:cowboy: