Country Music

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, Apr 12, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

As some of you know, i'm only 20 and bought 15 acres of land. Since i've been going to the property and cutting wood and clearing a spot to the house, I noticed i've been listening to country music again. I think the last time was when I was 11 or 12. Is this normal? Going from rap and hip-hop to country?

Just thought I would share.

Danny

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i wouldnt know all i listen to is country i think what they say is true rap the only thing missing is the c

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Ummm, well...I'm more than twice your age, but my answer is that rap and hip hop have sort of a jangling rhythm to them and perhaps country is mellower? I don't know, don't listen to it, but I listen to a different type of music while I'm working outside at home than I do while driving or at work, or cleaning house?

Oh! And congratulations and good luck on your place!

hollym

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:eek: WATCH IT!! WATCH IT!! Son that there Blue Grass will get you too,better watch Gospel too :haha:

big rockpile

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I am not that much older than you but I really couldn't tell ya because I have never been accused of being normal. I listen to everything though.

Congrats on the land purchase.

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

It's because being in the country puts you in the .... um... country.... state of mind! Haven't you noticed that the music you listen to depends on your mood at the time? When I'm mellow, it's mellow music. When I want to clean the house, etc, it is livelier.

When I cross the border into the next state, bluegrass comes on!!! :haha:

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean. Urban music just doesn't go with the slower feel of country life (although it sure doesn't feel slower when the ducklings and goats decide to make a break for it at the same time!). By the same token, country music seems out of place in the middle of the city.

Just wait till you discover blue grass, folk, and gospel. The only reason I have an fm radio anymore in the house is because it came with the cd player.

8. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    It may also be because the only stations your radio can get out in the boonies are little old stations that play country 24-7. I know on my homestead all I can get on the radio is about 4 stations and they are all pure country. I dont mind at all, but sometimes I get a craving for a bit of ABBA. Good thing I brought the old record player and the tape player. :haha: :rolleyes:

9. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to be your mom and have always listened to country, but it seems logical to me. It's hard to find common ground between what rap and hip-hop sings about and things like cutting wood, canning beans, milking goats and trips to the outhouse. LOL. Welcome to homesteading, Danny. It's exciting to me when young people discover the good life. :)

10. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

The only country music i listen to is Willie Nelson. :cool:

Mostly listen to a variety of music...soundtracks to classical to even opera like Pavarotti but mainly rock. I'm all over the place.

11. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I think people go back to what they were brought up on. I'm 33...listened to Marty Robbins, Willie and Waylon, and all them good ol boys/gals back in the 70's and early eighties. When I hit middle school I discovered heavy metal, and listened to that through out my school days. Now I am back to country music again...however, I find myself liking the classic country and singers such as George Strait, and the late Chris LeDoux rather than the "mock" country that seems to be creeping onto the radio now (I can't stand Big & Rich or groups/singers like them).

12. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

As you get older your mind develops. I will let you figure that one out, but you cant go wrong with Country Music.It is real stories and real feelings for real people, not people that let their pants drag the straddle , and would not know an honest days work for the life of them. You are just adapting to your environment. Enjoy! :cool: :cool: Marty

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I listen to Ted Nugent some times.Thats Country isn't it? Well he wears a Cowboy Hat :haha:

big rockpile

14. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Danny- I'm yer age, and also started listening to country again in the last year. I feel more at home studying the critters if I have a little Garth, Reba, or Willie keepin me company. It makes me laugh that I'm straddling so many cultural lines now, nobody knows what to do with me! :cool:

15. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

I am not much older than you and I listen to just about anything and I like it heavy metal, rock, country :haha: dont really have a favorite, just depends on where I am at or what I am doing to what the radio station is set to :)

16. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

I grew up in LA, and saw more than my fair share of concerts. :) I was at the first ever California Jam for 3 days. But I always liked the more softer, easy listening music really. Eagles, Pure Praire League, CSNY, Beach Boys, Seals & Crofts, Bread, Linda Thermostat, Bee Gees (best band of all time), some of you know the ones.

I do love country music too (some of it, the real stuff) always have, but in the last 10 years, I've found/discovered that I like listening to nothing. Just outside, birds singing, frogs croaking, all the critters making their noises here. I feel most at peace with no radio-no tv on, just outside noises. I feel more at ease when I can hear all the sounds outside at night too, with the windows open. Quiet is so nice, it means everything is allright.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do have my big screen TV, homemade surround sound, tuner, dish channels, and I love my action movies with loud noises if I'm in the mood. But I do find myself muting the volume and just listening for noise outside quite a bit. :) If on the rare occasion I am driving, I listen to my older country or home-made mixed tapes. And crank it up and sing very loud. :D ......I would've married John Denver if he would've only asked. Or Neil Diamond, in a heartbeat, absolutely LOVE him too. I even love Barry Manalows songs.............

17. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I grew up in the 80's in Calif. Didn't do any concerts, but loved rock, metal, etc. Now I go thru phases. Right now, and for the last 3 years, I've been listening to mostly country. I listen to alot of different music...rock, country, new age, oldies, etc. To me, it's just a sign of expanding my mind. Never could get into the rap/hip-hop thing.

18. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

There isn't too much country in today's country music.
    It's mostly pop in a cowboy hat. :waa:
    There's still a few, George Strait, the late Chris Ledoux, George Jones, Willie (usually) and a very few others.
    I like listening to cowboy singers, folk music, blues, rock. and the kids have me listening to Metallica, Primus and other stuff I wouldn't have picked up on my own.
    I rarely listen to music these days, and if I do, it's likely to be whatever suits my mood at the time.

19. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I'm not to "up" on the new stuff they call country music but I do know that most of the traditional country music stars are really nice people....one I went to interview in the 1980's and for some reason my husband went with me....and when we drove up he was driving an old Alis Chambers tractor and it had been raining and when he got off the seat his OVERALLS were wet on the seat! and he just acted as normal as anything...we visited his original homeplace many times as I did several writings that he influenced....

Same is true for most of the Bluegrass folks....they are just SO NICE and down to earth....no matter how famous they are....always kind and considerate when I interviewed them...

Marty Robbins (ya'll remember him????) was kind of cocky but I liked him just the same....I interviewed him about a month before he died in 1982 I believe....

Lorrie Morgan is a tiny little thing and she actually has PRAYER with her crew backstage each time before she goes on stage....(I have a precious photo of that somewhere here)....

why I'm saying all this is because many many many COUNTRY artists are just down to earth and don't forget where they came from and THAT'S probably what you're realizing in their music....and as you go "back to the earth" your listening to the music of back to the earth people....

20. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

only music i never realy got into was disco and at that did listen to abba and bg's a bit. even when i was listening to heavy metal still had time for blue grass!! probably what brought me back to country . now maritimes fiddle music ,thats gotta play a part in every ones life!! just a normal progresion when you move to the country!!