Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are needing to replace our counters, they are over 40 years old and cracked along the front edge.
I'm thinking I might like to just cut plywood to fit and then lay the 12x12 tiles on with glue and grout. (or whatever adhesive is recommended for this)
Right now the ceramic and marble tiles are on sale of this size and if we did this it would only be around $200.00. We are blessed to have about 20 feet of counter space. The cheapest option thus far. I have seen the counter tops on display at Lowes' and Menards with the tile, but thought I would see if anyone here has done this.
Anybody?
Experiences in putting it in and then experiences in daily use?
How did you finish/trim the front to hide the plywood?
Thanks.
jd

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
we did our countertops with tile, the smaller ceramic, the way you are thinking over plywood. it's been just over 15 years, and I've never had a problem with stains. however, don't scrimp on the grout. they sell a grout that is very pricey, but it is soooo durable. I can't think of what it's called, but someone and Lowes/Home Depot will know. we didn't use it on the counter (but will if we regrout someday), but have used it on all floors we've since tiled and LOVE IT. it never discolors, and never needs the routine resealing. I'll take a pic and post it a little later (hub is due to get up for work in a few mins.) we just used pine border with 4 coats of polyurethane, and it is indestructible I think. lol I wouldn't use marble, it's not a hard stone.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
we built some counter tops like that last spring, friend gave us a pile of ceramic tile so was very cheap!dont worry about hot pots going on the counter now!

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
these pics aren't the greatest, but maybe it gives an idea on how we trimmed it out. it's just pine that he put a routered edge on. asked hub about the grout, and he said the expensive grout is epoxy. (couldn't remember the brand name, but they sell it at Lowes) I know if I regrout the counter I will absolutely use that. it comes in lots of colors, too. my kitchen is tiny, so we did the counter for truly a few dollars. :) I really love the tile.

the little area between stove & fridge...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My husband did our countertops like this a few years ago. I think we used 8x8 tiles. I love it! He did a great job and it really stands up well. He made an edge out of wood to go around it. I will try to post a pic later.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for your advice.
I really appreciate the offer of pictures, sorry, mamita that yours somehow didn't come through. Could you please try posting them again?
I'm going to be in town today so I think I will stop by the store and do some information gathering.
thanks again.
jd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts