Couldn't Wait

Discussion in 'Goats' started by brierpatch1974, Jan 3, 2006.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

I just couldnt wait till spring to get my first goats. I have everything fixed up and ready to go. I even managed to find 40 bales of alfalfa hay from a friends relative. They weight about 40 to 50 lbs each.
    So what did I get you ask? I bought a Saanen doe and wether. The doe is bred and should drop around end of this month. They are both very healthy and I took them to a vet to make sure. Vet Is a good friend of mine and showed me somthing I have never seen before... Ultrasound pics of the bay goats.. And what a REAL SURPRISE !!! Triplets... Vet told me its rare for goats and is the first Saanen she has ever seen carrying triplets so I hope everything goes well.
    If i can figure out how to use this crazy digital camera I will post some pics. Only problem I have is my wife now says the goats are hers and not mine lol. Hope she lets me get my Boers this spring and not want even more Saanens or another breed :) .

Rick

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

My first goat was a Saanen...still have her daughter and granddaugher..and in about three weeks..hopefully her greatgranddaughter!

They are indeed gentle giants. And good for you on the triplets!! My weezie has had twins, triplets, and quads. She raised them just fine all by herself..she is due in three weeks..hoping she just has twins this time...she is getting some age and she darned neer milks herself right into the ground.

Needless to say..you will be milking in two or three months? I am sooo happy for you all.

My buck is a boar...lol..not bore! And the cross off of Saanen and Boers are huge framed kids. I can have a lot full of kids...nubie/boar and saanen/boar...and 99% of the time..the meat buyers pick the Saanen/boer first.

Keep us updated on those triplets!! Your homestead will go nuts when the big event happens!!LOL!!

Congrats...

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on everything! Welcome to the goat world. Good Luck, bye.

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on your new goats. Triplets aren't real common in Saanens, but they show up every year in my other breeds. Last Spring, Isis had quintuplets, Jennifer had quads and both Blossom and Goat Flower had triplets. I wish my vet had a detailed ultrasound like your vet does. I would take Isis in to see how many kids she is carrying this year. Those quints almost killed her with metabolic problems. She does fine with triplets. Your doe should do OK, but it doesn't hurt to have propylene glycol and calcium on hand.

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Welcome too the wonderful world of goats!! :eek: They are very addictive..those 2-plus the 3 she's carrieing-will quickly become 10...12... :rolleyes: Gotta love "em-you'll have plenty for both you and your wife too share! By the way, my 7 year old Saanen has hed triplets every freshening..this year she is due in 2 weeks-and looks like a SINGLE! :shrug: Enjoy! :sing:

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Saanens, Thats the Main Breed here at BryrPatch! They are sweet! My Saanens havent thrown any triplets yet, but I know of plenty that do, and my nubians throw mainly triplets, and every year you hear of Nubs having quints.

7. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

The ONLY thing to do is to go shopping for another bred goat!!!! giggle. I'll never forget when my first goat freshened and only had ONE!!! I felt jipted. I told mom that goat births are as addictive as the scratch off lotto. This one wasn't doubles (triples, etc) but the NEXT one might!!!! giggle.

8. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new Goats! I remember how excited I was when I got my two Goats two years ago. I was nearly bouncing off of the walls.

Saanen's are beautiful Goats. My two Goats are Saanen Alpine crosses but they don't look like Saanen's even though they are nearly full ones. They look just like purebred Alpine's.