Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has his trail camera set up in the woods behind the house.... Every couple of days he goes out and brings me in the memory card.... So this evening, I was sitting here going through all 156 pictures when....

:hobbyhors .... this is the big buck he walked in on during turkey season.... He's so excited for tomorrow morning....

There was also a 6 point wandering around on the pictures too....

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
i wish your hubbie well! was down in New Brunswick tracking out moose trails this summer for a friend and his gang, not one moose showed up during the hunt!!! lots showed up a week after!

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Good luck on seeing him during legal shooting hours.
They dont get that size by being stupid

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
WOW!

We never see big bucks like that. We saw one a couple of months ago by the side of the road (live not dead) and were amazed. We see TONS of big doe, but no big bucks.

I don't know what it is this season. No one I know got a deer this season. And there are no deer by the side of the road, either (dead not live). Usually I have a gabillion near misses between my car and deer. This year there was nothing.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course DH has been out in the woods since 6AM.... there have been no sign of any deer whatsoever yet today.... He's kinda bummed.... but yet happy b/c we have that picture as proof that he is out there....

·
Registered
311 Posts
One time, back when I was still in high school, I was hunting the late buck season. It had snowed about 3" the night before & was turning into a drizzling rain. I came across some huge, fresh buck tracks that lead into a thicket of dog hair brush that didn't cover 1/2 an acre. I followed them tracks into that thicket & you couldn't see more then 20' in any direction. I chased him around in there all day & never got a glimpse of him. Think I might have heard him once or twice. Last thing, before giving up I walked around the outside of that thicket & there was only that one set of tracks going in & none coming out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow, thats a nice buck! My husband got a really nice 7 pointer on tuesday and then my dad got a nice big doe this morning! We saw a monster around here a couple months ago too - had to be 12+ points!

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
That looks like a nice buck alright but like others have said he got that big for a reason, he's a smart one. I wish your DH luck. The big one's around here learn quick & the one's that make it past opening day start traveling & coming out after dark. I seen bucks & doe's all summer & early fall but only doe's during our firearm season.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Yeah, we have a huge bachelor band of elk that hang out in the clearcut behind our place....until hunting season, of course. :rolleyes: Man, I'd sure like to have one of them in my freezer.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
he's a nice one!! Hope he does end up in your freezer.

I took a picture of a large bodied buck walking through our field in late October in the middle of the day; my dh happened to see him again early the morning of Nov. 23rd. . . that nice buck is in my freezer now!!

And tonight dh shot me a doe for my birthday with his muzzleloader (is that a ******* birthday present or what? LOL)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Gun season for deer is already over here in KY. But my son got 2, one was a button buck and the other was a 6 pointer, my son said he was an old deer. I asked how old because when he said that I'm thinking 6,7 or more years old, he laughed and said he was about 4 yrs old, but my oh my he was a big one. I hope your DH gets his deer. Thanks for sharing the picture.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well just about every day there are 8 to 14 deer in my side yard. We can count them from our kitchen window. Most are does and 2 are youngsters. There are 2 year old bucks with just little antlers. We have a group of about 5 bucks that range from 2 to 3 year olds to one that is about a 12 pointer, big guy.
I think they know we dont hunt and as long as they stay on our property they are safe.

Alice in virginia

1 - 16 of 16 Posts